14. Come Back

Flashes lights. Police, helicopter, blood, ambulance sirens.

It had all passed him by. He could hear the sound of screaming but did not realize it was his own.

He was kneeling on the floor next to the body, trying to keep him awake, shouting his name.

Everything went so fast, but at the same time, so fcking slow. Before he knew it, the paramedics had taken it over from him and he was standing outside, in the cold.

He could see one of the police men coming up to him, opening his mouth as he was saying something, but for some reason his own ears decided to block the sound.

''what..?''

''are you alright? can you explain to me what happened?''

What happened? He could barely remember what happened. It was all too much.

''you're definitely not okay'' the police man muttered. ''what's your name?''

''um.. Xiao Zhan, sir''

''alright, Mr. Xiao, I'll call one of the paramedics to take a look at you-''

''no, I'm fine'' Zhan pulled the man back by his arm. ''but uh.. is he going to be fine? The boy that got shot, is he going to make it?''

''I'm sorry, I don't know''

_____________________________________

Zhan came out of his apartment complex and was heading to his car. That's when he heard someone calling his name.

He looked back and saw the faces of Zhuo Cheng, Yubin and Zoey looking at him with relief.

''what are you guys doing here?''

Zoey was the first one to come running at him. She threw her arms around him and hugged him as hard as she could. ''I'm so glad you're okay'' she sobbed in his shirt.

Yubin came up to them and decided to throw his arms around the both of them as well.

''we were so worried, Zhan-Gē!''

After a couple of minutes, the two backed off again. ''I'm so sorry we didn't come sooner, we just heard about what happened to you''

''it's fine, I'm fine'' Zhan smiled softly at his friends

His smile gradually falters as soon his eyes switched to the gaze of Zhuo Cheng, who watched him with sadness and guilt in his eyes.

''Zhuo-''

He took big steps and wrapped his arms around Zhan. ''I'm sorry'' he whispered.

The latter smiled warmly and hugs his friend back. ''for what?''

''for everything''

The two broke the hug again and looked at each other with caring. ''don't apologize. there is nothing to apologize for. I should be the one to say sorry for how I've behaved back then. And for everything with the company. Things just turned... so messy''

''how is Yibo doing?''

''He's doing better. The operation was successful and he's now recovering. I've hadn't had the chance to speak to him yet but I was actually on my way now to go see him'' Zhan explained.

''what happened to the man that shot him and held you hostage?'' Zoey asked.

Hé Peng. He had been having nightmares of that man and the things he had done.

''he.. he got shot by the police after a long gunfight and didn't survive it'' he paused. ''He was going to shoot me. if it wasn't for Yibo I would've been dead by now''