Ch. 12 (Dylan)

Thursday night means Tripp's Pub for food, drinks, and laughs. Tonight a local band is playing covers of 90s bands so that should be pretty fun. Different friends come through every week to hang out, but the constants are always me, Josh, and Mallory.

This Thursday night tradition that we started at the beginning of the school year is pretty much the only night during the week that I'll go out and have a few drinks. It's a nice way to unwind and catch up with friends that I might be too busy to talk to during the week. Josh and I may live together and Mallory might be over a lot, but we're always in classes and working so there's not a ton of time to just chill together. I feel like an old 21 sometimes. Most 21 year olds are out at the more hip bars and clubs, but I got a lot of that partying out of my system freshman year. I'd rather be here at this pub with my closest friends and good food.

"So how are things going with Kate?" Mallory asks over the sound of the band's guitarist tuning his guitar.

"Things are fine. I haven't seen her since last week when she was over, but I talked to her yesterday. She said she's feeling pretty good." I answer while holding onto my cold beer, the condensation sliding down my fingers.

"Yeah, but how are things?"

"What things?"

"Ugh, come on, are there feelings there?" Mallory says annoyed that I'm acting slow on the uptake.

I hang my head, "I definitely still have feelings for her. Honestly, I don't think they ever went away. But, she's got a boyfriend."

Josh slaps a hand on my back, "I'm happy that you're being respectful of her relationship. Even if she doesn't remember it much, she still deserves the chance to figure it out. It shows real growth, man."

"Oh, I didn't say I wasn't going to fight for her," my lips lift up into a smile that some may see as somewhat devious.

"Just when I thought you were growing up," Josh drops his head.

"Hey, I'm not going to sabotage her relationship or anything, but I'm not going to just give up. When the time is right, I'm going to tell her how I feel. With any luck, she'll feel the same way."

"Dylan Holmes! Oh my god!"

I'd know that shrieking voice anywhere.

I plaster a fake smile on my face, "Krista, how are you?"

Krista practically jumps on me and pulls me in for a tight hug with her tentacle arms. I hug her back to be polite and start to let go, but she doesn't. I pat her back to show warmth, but also to signal that it's time to let go now. She still has her arms wrapped around my neck and I can see Josh and Mallory trying to keep their laughter in.

When she finally lets go, I lean back a little to put some space between me and the beautiful blonde. Krista was one of the girls I hung out with a lot during my party phase. We hooked up a few times, but never actually dated even though she really wanted to. I think she thought we were a thing for a while, although we had never actually had that conversation. I try to avoid her these days because she's still into me and she's a stage 5 clinger. I don't want to give her the wrong impression. If she even thinks she's got a shot with me she will not stop.

After we catch up for a few minutes, she leaves to head back to the table where her friends are. I breathe a sigh of relief once her suffocating presence is gone.

"I thought she'd never leave," I complain to my friends.

"You're the one who hooked up with her," Josh laughs.