Chapter One

Y/n's P.O.V.

Y/n, the Quagmires will be here soon, are you ready to go?" Father called from downstairs. I was brushing my hair in the bathroom getting ready for a sleepover with Isadora. I had known the Quagmires since I was four years old, and I hung out with them whenever I had the chance. Not only were they kind people, they helped me through troubled times.  Two years ago, my mother lost her battle to cancer, and then my sister committed suicide a month after her death. I always considered the Quagmires to be a second family. I was hanging out with them when I got the news about my sister, we held each other on the couch and cried. Over the years, I had developed a special bond with each of the Quagmire triplets.

Duncan and I would look through our favorite articles in the newspaper and explain why we liked that article. Isadora and I would look through the library and read different books with poetry, one of my favorite poets was Percy Bysshe Shelley. But the Quagmire Triplet that I connected with the most, was Quigley. Quigley and I became best friends from the moment we met, we shared the same interests in cartography, one of my favorite memories with him was when we were seven years old, we made maps of our houses and pretended that we were lost explorers in the jungle. Isadora always referred to us as two peas in a pod. She would constantly tease me about our friendship and ask if I liked him.

"Quigley and I are just friends, there's nothing is going on between us," I always answered. As I double-checked my suitcase to make sure I had everything, I heard a knock coming from downstairs. "Y/n, the Quagmires are here!" Father called again. "I'll be down in a second!" I called back. I closed my suitcase and walked downstairs where I saw my father and the Quagmires waiting for me. "Y/n, it's so good to see you again!" Isadora squealed as I reached the end of the staircase. Isadora, her brothers, and I embraced each other tightly. "Are your parents still out of town?" Father asked. "Yeah, they're still out of town," Quigley answered. Father looked over at me with a look of seriousness on his face.

Normally, he was a kind and happy person, but after the deaths of my mother and sister, he became a whole other person. "Well, in this case, I would tell guys to wait until your parents get back, but this time I'll let it slide," Father sighed. I ran into his arms and hugged him tightly. "Thank you, daddy!" I smiled. "I'm putting a lot of trust into you, Y/n," he whispered. "Don't worry, Mr. L/n, we'll take good care of her," Duncan promised. I pulled away from my father and walked back over to the triplets. "Alright, you guys have fun," We nodded, and he opened the front door for us. When we were halfway out of the yard, Father yelled. "No funny business, Quigley and Duncan!"

I started to blush red with embarrassment, but I felt Isadora place a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "They're not gonna do anything, Why did he say that?" she whispered. "He's been overprotective since mom died," I answered.  I was praying that Duncan and Quigley would not question what we were talking about. "What does he think Quigley is gonna do, help you vandalize a building?" she asked. I lightly hit her on the shoulder. "Shh, what if your brothers here?" I whispered. She let out a small giggle, "I can see you like Quigley, don't deny it," she grinned. "Who likes Quigley?" Duncan asked. I want to crawl into a hole and die. "No-nobody," I answered. Duncan and Quigley turned around and we continued walking.

Quigley and I were not intimate with each other at all, we just hang out as friends, and besides, Quigley probably didn't like me like that. And even if he did, my father would freak the f out. When we finally arrived at the Quagmire Mansion, all four of us hung out in the library. Duncan and Isadora sat on the sofas, while Quigley and I sat on a different one. We snuggled up together as we read Pride and Prejudice. Quigley wasn't into romance novels, but I was the one who introduced him to those novels. A cold breeze entered the library, and I started shivering.  Almost Immediately, Quigley took notice and wrapped a small white blanket over my shoulders. "You feel better?" he asked. I nodded, and I felt him gently wrap an arm around my back.

I felt my cheeks grow warm, and I tried so hard to hide the fact I was blushing. I saw Isadora looking over the top of her book, and I could tell that she was smiling. Before I could say anything, I heard the front door open. We all looked at each other wondering who it could be.