Chapter Five

Y/n's P.O.V

That night, I couldn't sleep, too much was on my mind. It felt like my mind and body were in a tight cage and it felt like there was no chance of escape. I tried to think about happier things, but the only thing I could think about was my house going up in smoke and my father burning to death inside of it. I looked at the small clock that was on the nightstand, it was 2:45 in the morning.

I didn't know how I could fall asleep, but then I smelled the sweet scent of apple cider. I got out of the bed and followed the scent down the stairs and into the kitchen where I saw two figures. Did someone break in to have hot cider? I knew the answer had to be no because nobody breaks into somebody's house just for apple cider, when I turned on the hallway light, I saw Quigley and Mrs. Quagmire drinking hot cider together.

"Y/n, what are you doing up this late?" Mrs. Quagmire asked. "I couldn't sleep too much was on my mind," I answered rubbing my tired eyes. I took a seat next to Quigley while Mrs. Quagmire got out a small cup and filled it up with the hot drink. "I couldn't sleep either," Quigley whispered. "Did you have a nightmare?" I asked. But Quigley shook his head and took another sip of his cider.

"No, I just couldn't sleep," he answered. I took a small sip of my cider and let it run down my aching throat. Then, I smelled something else, and looked over at Quigley to see if he smelled the same thing. "Mom, do you smell smoke?" Quigley asked. Mrs. Quagmire looked up from her glass and looked around. "Yes, I don't know where it's coming from though," she answered. I looked around and saw smoke coming from the front door.

"I think there's something burning near the front door," I spoke up and a few seconds later, I saw a flame. "Come with me!" Mrs. Quagmire said taking our hands. "I need you to get into the tunnel while I get the rest of the family," "But, what if you don't come back?" Quigley asked. Mrs. Quagmire lifted up a part of the floor revealing the entrance to a small passageway. "I'll come back, I promise," she smiled. I climbed down the ladder first while Quigley followed close behind me.

"Stay here and don't come out," Mrs. Quagmire said before she shut the passage door. Quigley and I looked at each other, silently praying that everyone would be okay. After a few minutes had passed, we heard the sounds of people screaming and the foundation of the mansion starting to crumble.  "Should we go back up there?" he asked. "I don't know, your mother said to stay here, but they could be trouble," I answered. I watched as Quigley tried the lift the door up but the something was keeping it from opening.

"I think something fell onto top of door," he said as he climbed down the ladder. "Where do we go from here? We're in a tunnel with no idea where to go," I asked. I looked around the tunnel where I saw a network of tunnels leading to different directions. On every side there were three signs leading in that direction I saw L/n, Quagmire, and Baudelaire.

"Let's go down the left tunnel, it leads to somebody name Montgomery, maybe they can help us," Quigley suggested. I felt Quigley gently take my hand in his and we walked down the tunnel leading to Montgomery.

A/n: Alright, another chapter of Never Tear Us Apart will be uploaded later today so stay tuned!

With love,

Duskprincess89