Chapter Twenty Five

Quigley's P.O.V.

Y/n and I walked through the city for a while, but we had no luck finding the Baudelaires. Firetrucks were flying up and down the roads because there were so many fires going on, I knew that the man with beard but no hair, and the woman with hair but no beard were behind this. "We need to keep our heads down, we don't know if they could be here," I said. Eventually, we reached Mulctuary Money Management, and I hoped that they would have some documentation on where the Baudelaires could possibly be.

"Quigley, do you think Mr. Poe is going to recognize me? I don't want him to ask a lot of questions about what I am doing," Y/n asked before we walked into the building. I looked back at her, and I realized that Mr. Poe had no idea if she was dead or not. "Here, tuck your hair into your jacket, it will make it look like your hair is shorter," I said. She complied, and she looked so cute. "Okay, that's better, now he won't recognize you,"

After about half an hour of waiting, we were finally allowed to go inside Mr. Poe's office. "Hello children, what can I do to help you?" Mr. Poe said looking up from his files. Y/n and I looked at each other and we knew that we had a long story to tell him, and we were probably going to get interrupted by his loud fits of coughing. Sure enough, after we finished our story, Mr. Poe started coughing in his handkerchief.

"Your telling me, that you two tobogganed down a frozen waterfall, fell into a stream when you were separated from your friends, then made it back to the city on skis you carved out of tree bark? Frankly, I found that difficult to swallow," Mr. Poe asked after his fit of coughing was over. "I mean, why not just call a cab? And where are your parents?"

"We're orphans, our friends are orphans too, that's why we came to the Department of Orphan Affairs," I sighed. Mr. Poe's phone started ringing and he answered, and I started to realize that maybe he may not where the Baudelaires are. "Are you gonna help us find our friends?" Y/n asked. "I'm sorry, but I simply don't have the time to look for orphans who lack the good sense to stay put. Why, the Baudelaire case alone has chapped my lips too many times to count! And don't even get me started about the Quagmires and L/n's," Mr. Poe answered.

"We're looking for the Baudelaires, I'm Quigley Quagmire, and this my girlfriend Y/n L/n," I sighed. "That's impossible, Quigley and Y/n died in the Quagmire fire, which seems to be going around, now my new secretary will help you find the door," We heard someone clear their throat and I saw a woman with short brown hair, and she appeared to be pregnant. "I'm not the secretary, and my name is not Jacqueline, but I might be able to help you two," she smiled reaching into her coat pocket.

"This sounds like a Viciously Fraught Dilemma," she said pulling out a V.F.D. telescope. I looked over at Y/n and we smiled at each other knowing that we found a member V.F.D. that was willing to help us. She led us out of the building and we got into a taxi. "So, you want to find your friends? I can help you, but I need you to help me with something, will you volunteer?" she asked.

"Yes, of course, we will," Y/n and I said at the same time.