Chapter Twenty Four

Y/n's P.O.V.

The next morning, I woke up to a cold breeze blowing through the cave and I started to shiver uncontrollably, I felt Quigley gently wrapping his arms around me becoming my human blanket. "Do you feel a little warmer?" he whispered softly into my ear. "Yeah, I am," I smiled. We snuggled with each other for a little while, and we watched as the sunlight peered into the cave.

"I'm gonna go find us some breakfast, you stay here and keep warm," he said planting a kiss on my cheek before heading out. I snuggled deeper into the sleeping bag trying to keep all the warmth from escaping, and when Quigley came back with the food, I saw his bright smile when he saw me curled up in the sleeping bag. "You look so adorable," he said. I felt my cheeks start to blush a deep red.

He sat down next to me and handed me a small amount of berries and nuts. "I could come with you and help you find food, I don't like the idea of you having to go out there by yourself and potentially never come back," I said taking a bite out of one of the berries. "Yeah, that's totally fine, don't let me stop you," he said reaching into his bag pulling out The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations.

"What are you doing?" I asked as Quigley flipped through the pages until he found the map. "We need to get into town, I need to know if the Baudelaires are okay, maybe we can find someone who's in V.F.D. so we can find the Last Safe Place," Quigley explained. I was still confused, I knew how we could identify a member of V.F.D. but I wasn't too sure if the remaining members of V.F.D. would be living in the city.

"Are you sure? What if our enemies are now in the city?" I asked. Quigley looked over at me, slightly irritated. "I'm sorry, it's just I'm worried that we're going to put ourselves in danger again," I sighed. The look on Quigley's face softened, and I felt him wrap an arm around my back. "I understand, I'm scared too. But, it's a risk we have to take," Quigley said. Somehow, he always knew how to make me feel better, and that was one of the things I loved about him.

"Your right, but how are we going to get back? We'd have to walk a thousand miles in the hinterlands to get back to the city," Quigley shook his head and he pointed down to the map. "There's a shortcut, but the only way to get there, is we'd have to ski down the slope," he explained. I had never been skiing before, my mother was planning on taking us to go skiing in the winter, but then her cancer became worse and eventually she was bedridden. But, it was this way or no way.

"Okay, let's do it!" I said. Quigley started smiling and I could tell he like the confidence that I had. We grabbed our stuff, and we walked through the woods for a long time, we stopped at few trees and we skinned them, Quigley had the bright idea to use them so we could ski back to the city. Eventually. we reached a large hill and when we reached the top, I could see the city in the distance.

"Since when do you come up with inventions?" I asked as we got ready to ski down the slope. "Violet inspired me, so I thought I give it a try," he smiled. I looked down at the slope and I took a deep breath before I gently moved forward and I started to slide down the hill. I was worried that I was going to crash, but I quickly got the hang of the skis, and it became very fun.

Quigley was right behind me, and he seemed to know exactly what he was doing because it looked like he had done it before. "This is so fun!" I screamed to Quigley. "I agree! It really is fun!" Quigley shouted back. After about half an hour of skiing, we finally reached the end of the hill. "We should do this again sometime soon!" I said as Quigley and I embraced each other tightly.

"I agree, but we try to find the Baudelaires or anybody that works with V.F.D," Quigley said. I nodded slightly, and we began our search through the city.