Chapter Twenty One

Quigley's P.O.V.

"Y/n! Quigley!" Violet called out as she and the Baudelaires got further away from the branch where Y/n and I got stuck. "Last Safe Place! We'll meet you at the Last Safe Place!" I called out. I was stuck in that large tree branch, and I could see Y/n on the ground unconscious. "Y/n! I'm coming!" I called out to her hoping that she would hear me. I carefully freed myself from the branches grasp, and I carefully landed on the ice, not seriously hurting myself.

"Y/n, wake up! Please wake up!" I said gently trying to shake her awake. She was laying perfectly in the snow, and her eyes remained closed, as I continued to try to wake her up. "Please don't be dead, please no!" I begged. I leaned in close and listened for the sound of her heartbeat, I could've died of relief when I heard the faint sound of her heart. "Come on, I'm gonna get you out of here," I said as I carefully picked her up.

I walked across the lake still holding Y/n tightly in my arms, and I was hoping that the Baudelaires were okay. After about an hour of walking, we made it back to the cave where the Snow Scouts were staying. I laid Y/n on one of the sleeping bags that the Snow Scouts forgot to take with them. My stomach started to grumble and I realized that it had been a while since we ate, so while I was looking for firewood, I was going to look for food as well.

"I'll be right back, I promise," I whispered to Y/n planting a soft kiss on her cheek. It took me longer to find firewood than it did the day before, but I still managed to find enough firewood for the two of us. As I was making my way back to the cave, I heard the sound of snow crunching, and the sound of voices not too far off. I quickly hid behind a few trees, and I saw Esme, Carmelita, Olaf, and The Hooked Handed Man walking past the cave. I had no idea how they didn't notice the cave, but I thanked God for that.

After the coast was clear, I quickly made it back to the cave and made the fire, and went back out to look for food. While I was looking, I started thinking about a story that Y/n and I had read when we were younger. It was about a boy and a girl who were orphans and they were stranded in the woods with nobody there to help them, and they had to hunt for food and freshwater to drink. Our story was kind of like that, but in the end, the two children starved to death, so I was determined to make sure that our story would have a happy ending.

After a half-hour of looking for food, I finally found some non-poisonous berries, and I caught some salmon from a nearby river. As I was working on the salmon back in the cave, I saw Y/n's eyes flutter open, and she carefully sat up in the sleeping bag. "You're awake," I smiled. "Thank god, ow my head, what happened?" she asked gently rubbing her eyes.

"You got hit the head by that branch, I saved you and brought you back here," I answered gently poking at the salmon to see if it was cooking properly. "You didn't have to save me," she smiled slightly. "Of course I would save you, I wasn't going to let you freeze to death. I care about you," I smiled. I love you, was what I wanted to say to her, but I decided to wait until after we ate.

After we finished eating dinner, I finally decided to tell Y/n what I had been wanting to tell her for a while now. "Hey, Y/n there is something I need to talk to you about," I said taking a seat next to her. "Is it good? Because I've had enough of bad things happening for one day," she asked. "No, this is a good thing, at least, I hope it is, I answered. My hand began digging through the small pocket that contained the sapphire brooch. "Do you remember when we went to the remains of your home to see if anything survived?" I asked.

She nodded, and I began carefully pulling out the brooch. "Y/n, I found something in the library, and I believe this belongs to you," I said revealing the brooch. Her eyes lit up as I placed it into her hand. "This was my mother's, I had no idea this survived. Thank you, Quigley," she smiled pulling me into a soft, gentle hug. "There's something else too. Y/n, you are the nicest girl I've ever met, you've always been there for me, always had my back when it mattered most, and over time, I've come to realize something, I don't like you as just a friend, I like you more than that," I said.

"What are you trying to say?" Y/n asked giving me that beautiful smile that I had come to love so much. Just say it, Quigley, just say those three little words. "Y/n what I'm trying to say is, I love you," Y/n's eyes grew wide, and I was started to get a little worried about what she was going to say. "Q-Quigley, I've waited so long for you to say that," she chuckled softly. I started smiling, and without a second thought, I crashed my lips onto hers and we shared a passionate kiss that we could not pull out of.

"Does that mean you'll be my girlfriend?" I asked. "Yes Quigley, I would love to be your girlfriend," she answered.