Chapter Twenty

Y/n's P.O.V.

Getting Esme out of that deep hot tub was not easy, but getting her up the mountain strapped to a chair was much harder. Especially because she was screaming at the top of her lungs. "Mush! Mush! Mush! Mush! Mush!" She screamed. "I wish you would stop saying that it's not helping," I sighed as I gently pushed the chair up the frozen waterfall. I had no idea how this was working, but I didn't question Violet's inventing skills.

"Well, I'd wish you'd go faster!" Esme groaned. "I still don't like this plan," I said to Violet. "Me neither, but what choice do we have?" Violet sighed as she dug the icepick into the ice. when we finally reached the top of the mountain, we heard Olaf and two people that were wearing dark purple coats talking about how they finally eliminated the Baudelaires. "I've got some bad news about that," Esme sighed as Violet and Klaus pulled the chair up the rest of the way.

"My Fortune!" Olaf cried out. "I also found Quigleforth Quagmire and his little girlfriend," Esme added. I let out a small sigh knowing that she was lying that we were boyfriend and girlfriend, but I tried my hardest to not blush at the thought of being Quigley's girlfriend. "Quigley," Quigley corrected Esme. "I've never been so happy to see you brats alive! How did you capture them, my pet?" Olaf asked.

"She didn't capture us, we're here to trade her as a hostage," Klaus answered. But when we looked back at Esme, we saw her slice the rope with a large knife freeing herself. "Like I've never had to free myself from a chair being hoisted up a mountain. I was going to use this big knife to force them to carry me up, but these volunteers just volunteered," Esme answered.

"Well, we may not have a hostage, but we're not leaving without Sunny," Klaus sighed. "Sunny Baudelaire's dead," The man with beard but no hair said. I felt my heart sink, We were too late. "No!" Violet shouted. I looked over at Quigley trying to hold back tears from falling down my cheeks. "Oh, yes. My favorite henchperson just tossed her off that cliff not moments ago," Olaf chuckled as if seeing our pain was a hilarious joke.

"I'm surprised you didn't see it on the way down," Klaus ran over to the man with hooks for hands and started pushing him doing little damage. "How could you do that to her?" Klaus shouted. Violet looked like she was about to run up to Olaf and Esme, but before she could do that, Quigley and I grabbed her, and we held her back from getting herself hurt. "It was easy, he just picked her up and eeee..." Olaf answered.

Olaf turned to face the two villain's in purple coats saying that they were wrong, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see a small sprig of blonde hair poking out from the nearby red car. "Violet, look," I whispered almost immediately knowing that it was Sunny. She complied, and I saw a small smile spread across her face, but we said nothing fearing that Olaf would do something if he found out the truth. Klaus looked over at us with a small smile on his face too, I knew that he had seen his little sister too.

"Idiot, you disappoint us, Olaf, we'll do better with the next recruits," The Man with Beard but no hair. We all looked up and heard the faint voices of the Snow Scouts approaching the top of the mountain. "What are all you cakesniffers doing here?" Carmelita asked when she saw us. "Hello little girl, we're here to help you celebrate False Spring," The Woman with hair but no beard evilly smiled.

"Carmelita, they're not here to help you celebrate False Spring, they're here to kidnap you!" I warned. "Impossible, I'm too adorable to kidnap, give me that springpole!" Carmelita demanded to one of the snow scouts. "Pay no attention to those cry-babies, why don't you step closer?" Carmelita complied and she stepped closer to the small tarp that was lying flat on the ground.

"No Carmelita!" Quigley shouted. "I crown myself False Spring Queen!" Carmelita grinned as she dug the springpole into the ground. "Now the rest of you children, take a few steps closer and join us in a special celebration," The children complied, and they stepped onto the tarp. we pleaded with them telling them that it was a trap, but they didn't listen. The two villain's pulled out whistles and three eagles swooped down and grabbed the ends of the tarp and lifted the tarp into the sky.

We all watched in horror as the snow scouts were carried off. "The noble side of the schism may have the carrier crows and the trained reptiles, but the eagles work for us," The Woman with hair but no beard grinned. The two villain's took off in Olaf's car, leaving us with Olaf, Esme, and the hooked handed man. "We have to get out of here," Quigley whispered. "You're not going anywhere! I only need to keep one of you alive to get your fortune.

"You should keep Klaus! then you could smash his glasses and watch him bump into things!" Carmelita cackled. "What an adorable little girl, Would you like to join us?" Esme asked Carmelita. "Yes! Hey, cakesniffers, now I have two sets of parents more than you!" Olaf slowly walked towards us and a wicked grin spread across his face. "Any last words?" Olaf asked. "Just one, Rosebud!" a voice called out. And we saw that Sunny was heading towards us with a sled big enough to hold all of us.

We quickly climbed on and I tightly grabbed the ends of the sled as we slid down the waterfall. "I'm glad to have you back, Sunny," Violet said to her sister. "Me too, but we're not safe yet, Y/n, Quigley, does your map say where this stream is headed?" Klaus said. Quigley handed me the map as I looked at it. "Streams run into larger bodies of water, like rivers, and rivers lead into-" before I could finish my sentence Quigley and I looked up and we saw a giant branch was in the way.

"Y/n! Quigley! Watch out!" Violet called out. Quigley and I let out a scream, and the last thing I saw was pitch black darkness...