Chapter Three

Quigley's P.O.V.

As Mr. Poe drove us to the remains of Y/n's home, I wrapped an arm around the small of Y/n's back as she laid her head on my shoulder. "This is so unfair," she whispered. "I know it is," I whispered gently rubbing her back. The car came to a stop in front of Y/n's former home, I opened the car door and offered my hand to her.

But Y/n didn't move a muscle, to this day I remember the look on her face when she saw the burnt remains through the window. She was shocked and sad. "Everything's gone," she whispered. I got back in the car and held her close. "Hey, it's okay, if your too distraught to go in, that's okay," I whispered running a hand through her soft hair.

"No, I'm not distraught, just give a moment," she muffled. After about a minute, we got out of the car and walked up the concrete stairs. The smell of smoke started to fill my lungs and I felt them start begging for a breath of fresh air.  "Let's look around and see if anything remained," I suggested. Y/n shifted her gaze towards me and slowly nodded. We split up and Y/n looked through the burnt remains of the library while I looked through her father's office.

I was hoping that there were a couple of things that survived the blaze, but everything was either destroyed or in a pile of ashes. As I turned to leave, something caught my eye. There was a small light coming from underneath the desk. I bent down and lightly blew the ashes away I saw a  silver brooch with  a single sapphire in the center and several diamonds surrounding it.

 I bent down and lightly blew the ashes away I saw a  silver brooch with  a single sapphire in the center and several diamonds surrounding it

Why is the brooch a sapphire? I looked over at Y/n, who was still looking through the library, then looked at the brooch again. Without a second thought, I slipped it into my pocket. "Did you find anything?" I asked as I walked out of the burnt office. She shook her head and buried her face in her hands. "It's gone, everything's gone. My family, my home and now I've never felt so alone," she sobbed. 

I hated seeing her upset, she needed my comfort and I was going to comfort her the best I could. I pulled her close to me and gently rubbed her back. "Your not alone, I'm here," I whispered. She looked up at me and I gently wiped her tears away. I knew that she was in a vulnerable state, I wished that there was some way that I could help her feel slightly better. If I could turn back time and stopped the fire, I would.

Then, we heard a car honk. Startled, we both looked up and saw it was Mr. Poe who was honking. "We should probably get back in the car," Y/n said pulling away from me. "Yeah, we should," I sighed. We walked back to the car and Mr. Poe asked us if we found anything. I wanted to say yes because I found a sapphire brooch, but Y/n didn't know I found it. I wasn't planning on keeping it, I was going to give it back to her when she felt slightly better.

When Mr. Poe pulled into the driveway of the Quagmire Mansion, Y/n didn't say a word getting out of the car. She just ran inside and climbed up the stairs to the guest room and slammed the door. "What's wrong with her?" Isadora asked. All of Y/n's sadness took its toll of me and I knew that eventually I was going to snap and say some things that I would regret later. 

"She just lost her father Isadora, he was her last blood relative and now he's gone, how do you expect her to react?" I yelled. Everyone looked at me stunned, like I swore in church. "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go upstairs and check on Y/n," I said leaving my family at the bottom of the staircase. When I reached the end of the staircase I knocked on the door of the guest room where Y/n was hiding.

"Go away," she responded. "Y/n, it's Quigley, I know your in a lot of pain right now, I want to help you," The door slowly opened and I met Y/n's tear-filled eyes. "Please come in, I need your comfort," she begged. She opened the door all the way and I walked into the room and sat down next to her on the bed.

Things were awkward between us for a moment, she stared down at the ground and barely made eye contact. "Is there anything I can say or do that would help you feel better?" I asked. She looked up at me and nodded. "Could you hold me?" she asked. Without a second thought, I pulled her in and gently rocked her. "It's gonna be okay, I promise we'll get through this," I whispered. She didn't say a word, but snuggled her head into my chest.  As I ran my fingers through her hair, I slowly leaned in and planted a soft kiss on top of her head.