Chapter Twenty

20. Merlin The Fixer Upper

Merlin was unpacking Arthur's things as said person sat at his desk looking out the window in a daze, "Merlin can I ask you something?"

"You want to know what you should do to apologize to Maggie for breaking her heart like she thought you would yet still gave you a chance?" Merlin asks looking over at the King who was staring at his servant, "What? She was crying into me and Gaius's shoulders."

"She was crying!?" Arthur asks, "Merlin you have to help me. I have royally messed up, I have to get her back."

Merlin smirked, "I have the perfect idea," he quickly finished unpacking before walking to the door, "Follow me!"

Magdalena stared at the letter in her hands, she suspected Arthur and Merlin were behind it but she decided to follow the instructions anyways. She found her self at a doorway which lead to stairs that went up to a random tower that was never used, she opened the door and gasped. Flower petals were covering the floor, the lights on the walls were bright, but grew less and less frequent as she made her way up to the top of the tower.

Walking out she stared in shock, Arthur stood in his causal clothes, a single rose in his hands, while the tower was decked with pillows and blankets. With food and drink off to the side as lanterns lite the sides of the tower, "I know I messed up and I know that I betrayed your trust. I told you everything and then at a moment where I was tested I let you slip through my fingers," he says looking a little bashful, "but Mags I would be lying if I said that I wasn't in love with you and I will never stop loving you. I should have stuck to you when I was told to move away. I should have stood up and proven to everyone that you are worthy of being queen and I swear if you forgive me, I will spend the rest of my life proving to you that you are worthy and you deserve to be queen one day."

"Arthur," she whispers looking at the floor, "You are right you did do exactly what I thought you would do," they stand in silence for a few moments, "How do I know that you are not going to do this again the next time someone questions our relationship? How do I know that one day a Lady or Princess won't enter Camelot and you realize how much better off you are without me? How do I know-"

"I can't even begin to explain how badly I messed up-"

"I forgive you Arthur," he smiled and went to take a step toward her but she back up a step, "but that doesn't mean I can take you back. You did everything I thought you were going to do. You promised me that no matter what people said you would stand by me, stand by us. But the minute your Uncle brought it up you were on his side. I can't take the chance that you do it again because it will break me and I know I won't get through it." 

"I won't Mags please you have to believe me," Arthur looked heartbroken and sounded just as bad, "What if I can prove it to you? Please Mags, I can't do this without you." 

Magdelena closed her eyes not able to look at his pouting and tearful eyes, "I will give you another chance Arthur but I want you to take in account my council," she says opening her eyes shocked to find him standing right in front of her, "Please when I give you council at least think about what I am telling you."

"I promise," he says smiling at her, "May I kiss you?" She barely finishes her nod before his lips are pressed against hers, a kiss which spoke thousands of words. His apology, his love and his regret for hurting her. They pulled apart and she couldn't help but smile lovingly at the man before her whose look mirrored hers, "Now shall we put this to use? Merlin spent a lot of time on this and I would hate to make your brothers hard work go to waste." 

"I should have guessed that Merlin was behind the stargazing picnic," she says smiling taking his hand and allowing him to lead her over to the pile of blankets and pillows. 

They spent the night feasting on the food and drink, talking about nothing of importance, until the sun began to peak above the horizon. Magdelena went to grab some things to help the servants pick up the mess but Arthur stopped her, "I know you are used to being a servant and now are the physicians apprentice, but you will be Queen one day, allow the servants to pick this up." 

"You mean Merlin don't you?" she asks chuckling slightly at the faux guilty look the King was wearing, "I am rather tired, so this once I will allow the servants to do so. Though, should there ever be a next time, I am at least doing a small part of it and you may not stop me."

"I suppose since you are not this time I can allow a small help for the next time," Arthur says linking their arms as he leads her down the stairs of the tower. Some servants were about smiling at Magdelena and Arthur, bowing to the later more than smiling as they passed. They arrived at the bottom of the stairs that lead to the door of her chambers, "Sleep well Mags." 

"You too Arthur," she kisses his cheek before hurrying up the steps, going straight to her bed. The exhaustion of staying up so late was enough for her to pass out as soon as her head hit the pillow. Not even taking notice of Gaius who was just beginning to stare awake in the bright sunlight that streamed through the few small windows he had in his chambers.