Chapter Thirty-Three

33. The Never Ending Search

Magdelena allowed Gilthunder to lead her toward the lake where she assumed the mermaids would be. The Queen was surfaced, as close to the shore as she could be without beaching herself, "Maggie we meet again," the queen says with a soft smile, "I see you have undergone some changes." 

"Yes. I hate to be rude but we are in a hurry," Magdelena says a shy smile on her face, "I need to speak to the Goddess. She summoned me, but I have no idea how to get to her from here. The last time she was in the water in a cave, then she came to me in the forest."

"I fear you have missed her by a few months," Quinn says staring at her rather worried, "The Goddess rarely summons someone to her. Why has she done so you are not even Death anymore."

"I have no idea, Gilthunder informed me of her summons," she admits trying not to take offense to the rather colder tone of the mermaid queen, "I am sorry to have wasted your time." 

"If she is in trouble she should have come to me!" the queen says, "I have powers at my disposal, an entire kingdom. What could a mortal do for her?"

Magdelena scowled and turned on her heel not bothering to answer to the cruel words, "I shall take my leave," she says but doesn't take a step, "I may not have powers and I may be a mortal now but I am the one she summoned not you, not anyone else. She summoned me, so get off your high horse." 

There was a moment of silence before the Queen spoke, "Check the local Druid camps," she says sounding ashamed, "As I am sure you know she often visited them when she isn't here." 

"Thank you for the reminder," Magdelena says hoping onto Gilthunder, "Take us back please." 

Gilthunder agrees flying back to the entrance, going through the trees. She turns as he trots away as the tree knots together again closing the entrance. Turning back around as they continue on further into the forest and further from Camelot, 'There is a Druid camp a days ride from here.'

"That is two days for when we get back to Camelot," Magdelena whispers, "I could still make it to  my wedding. Though my mother will probably be at Camelot before we return. Ruining my excuse." 

Gilthunder was silent for a while, enough that it was beginning to worry Magdelena, 'Maggie,' his voice was soft and gentle as if he was trying to reasure her or more himself, 'You know she may not be there. In which case we will have to travel to almost every Druid camp unyil we find her or another lead.'

"We can cross that bridge when we get to it," she says sitting up straighter and squaring her shoulders, "Now run as fast as you can to the nearest camp. All we can do is hope she is there." 

Gilthunder takes off running through the forest, stopping when he reached a rather hidden clearing. Cloaked by dense trees and foliage that hide it from the high eyes when you came across it. She slid off her horse and lead him into the camp, some went on edge at teh sight of the stranger, others stared in awe of her, while one ran to collect someone.

"If you seek the Goddess she is not at our camp," the man says Magdelena slumps in disapointment, "She informed us she was heading back to the realm where those magical creatures live in safety." 

"We were just there, Queen Quinn said she had left and to check local Druid camps," Magdelena says looking at him sadly. 

"Will you stay for a while?" The man asks with a smile in her direction, his smile dropping as she shakes her head, "Why not?"

"I must find the Goddess as soon as I can," she says staring at him her face scrunched hopeful he will not be offended, "I am meant to be married in three days, and already night has almost fallen." 

"All the more reason to spend the night," the man says, "We can send ahead asking about the wearabouts of the Goddess. If sent now our birds could return by tomorrow at midday." 

Magdelena turns to Gilthunder, 'It would save running around stopping in at each camp we come across.'

"Thank you for your kindess," Magdelena says bowing slightly, "We shall accept your offer."

"Of course Magdelena," he says smiling holding out his hand, "I am Trisitan. Please follow me, we have some dinner on the fire. For now I can take you to a tent for you to freshen up."

"Thank you, please call me Maggie." 

Magdelena was pulled from her tent as dinner was being served, Trisitan informed her they had sent out the letters to the other Druid camps that they knew about at least, "Are there some that you are unaware of?" 

"Even with the end of Uther's rein many are still in fear of Camelot," he says making her feeling a bit guilty, "If a patrol comes too close to their camp the usually pick up and leave as soon as they can." 

Magdelena lets her head fall and eyes close, "I am sorry for your treatment," she says sadly continuing before Tristian could speak, "I hope one day Arthur can see the truth and will allow magic into Camelot and make peace with the Druids." 

"That is our wish as well," Trisian says smiling at the younger girl, "May I ask what happened to your magic? You were once a powerful being."

Magdelena picks at her food a bit before turning to look at him, "I gave my power to Callieach in order to close the veil," she says looking down at her plate, "It was a large price to pay but I would make it every time if it meant I was able to save those who meant to sacrafice themselves." 

"I stand corrected," Tristian says after a moment of silence she looks at him her eyebrows furrowed, "You are still a very powerful being, just not in the way you think. You may have lost your powers but you are just as powerful. Just in a different way."

Magdelena smiled at him grateful for his words but unable to say anything as the children pulled her from her seat. They danced around the fire to the music, her laugh added to the music still just as harmonic and mystical as it had always been. She helped the children to gather the adults in their antics and soon the entire camp was up dancing and laughing as the music played through the night.