Chapter Twenty-One

21. Trouble

Gaius had been at a council meeting leaving Magdelena was left in charge of making some more commonly used potions and salves. When he returned later he looked rather worried making her rather confused and very worried as there was usually very little that would cause Gaius to be so worried, "Gaius?" Magdelena puts down the liquid she had been about to add to the glass vial until he walked in, "What happened?" 

"Merlin did not return with Arthur and the Knights," he says she drops the two glass containers their contents slashing on the floor around the broken glass, "Arthur is doing all he can to find him and bring him back." 

Magdelena wastes no time in running from the chambers through the halls and into the council chambers. Arthur looks up ready to reprimand the one who had interrupted their meeting for finding Merlin until he saw Magdelena standing there, "Mags, we will find him I promise," Arthur says, shocked as she runs into his arms and cries onto his shoulder, "Mags do you believe me?" 

"Y-yes," she sobs out muffled by his tunic as she cried into his shoulder as he held her gently, when she finally calms down enough for her to pull away from the King who smiled down at her with a slightly worried smile, using his thumb to wipe away the stray tears, "I should return to Gaius and allow you to finish this meeting. My apologies for interrupting you all." 

"No worries Mags," Arthur says staring at her, "If you need me you can come back or send a servant to give me the message alright?"

She nods once before walking out of the chambers, almost running into Leon who looked at her carefully, "How are you Maggie?" Leon asks, obviously annoying Agravaine that he had paused to speak to the girl when they had things to report to the King. 

"I'll be better when Merlin is back in Camelot safe and sound," she says smiling at the knight who she could tell became suddenly very nervous at her sounds, "What did you find on your search?" 

"Maggie-"

"There was no sign of the boy, only a scrap of bloody material," Agravaine says, shocked as she turns to glare at him harshly shocking him, though her eyes held little of the fire she normally glared at him with.

"Lord Agravaine that is her brother," Leon says rather hotly not liking the way he spoke to her, "Maggie, we need to go report to the King. Will you be alright getting to your chambers?" 

"Yes, thank you, Leon," she says placing her hand on his arm and squeezing it, remembering that she was once burned by his touch, "Please don't let me keep you any more." 

She walked past them and continued toward the what she assumed would be the empty chambers, she thought she had caught sight of Gaius in the chamber she had just left. Probably there to listen to the report of Agravaine and Leon. Entering the chambers they felt very empty, she was suffocated in the thoughts of worse case scenarios about Merlin.

She eventually gave up trying to stay in there and hurried to the stables, greeting a worried Gilthunder, 'What is wrong child?'

"Merlin is missing and I fear for him, and for Camelot," she admits sadly petting his neck as she spoke, "I fear he may be dead, or worse who knows what will happen if Morgana is the one who has him. Not to mention Agravaine is in a place of power where he can feed lies into the Kings ear." 

'You mustn't worry about Agravaine so much,' Gilthunder says nudging her with his head, 'Right now you focus on your brother. No use in over thinking everything, you are recently powerless and experiencing many things for the first time. Slow down a bit Maggie.'

"I am glad I came to you for council Gilthunder," she says hugging him she heard someone enter and stuck her head out of the stall to see Arthur putting his tact on his horse. She snuck out of her horses stall to behind him, "What do you think you are doing?"

Arthur jumped slightly turning to smile at Magdelena, "I am going to search for Merlin," he says, "I am certain that he is alive out there somewhere. I refuse to accept what Agravaine said about him being dead." 

"Arthur, why do you care so much? Merlin is just your servant who to be honest may not be the best servant," Magdelena asks looking at him, he furrows his brows as he looks at her. 

"He is your brother Mags," Arthur says cutting her off before she could open her mouth to reply, "and - now don't tell him this - but a close friend. He the only friend I have that treats me like a person not royalty." 

"Would you like some company on your mission?" she asks but before Arthur can reply an arm wraps around her shoulders making her turn to see Gwaine smiling, holding his horses reigns with his free hand. 

"He won't be alone, you stay here," Gwaine says smiling, "We bring back Merlin and I'll keep the Princess safe." 

"Keep yourself safe as well Gwaine," she says taking her leave from the stables giving Gilthunder a small pat before she headed back to the physician chambers where Gaius was reading some of his medical books, but he seemed spaced out on the page he had probably been reading for who knows how long, "Gaius?" 

Gaius looks up from his book slightly startled by the sudden voice, "Maggie," he says softly, "About Merlin-"

"I know what Agravaine was saying," she says, "Arthur and Gwaine just headed out to go look for him again."

"Arthur has confirmed that there is a traitor in Camelot," Gaius says, "I fear what Agravaine will do with his station of power, though we three know it is him telling Morgana everything. We should tread carefully around him now." 

"Of course Gaius."