Chapter Thirty-Two

32. She Calls On You

The first day of the tourney came to an end much to the joy of Magdelena. Though she was forced through a meal with Arthur and the knights, she was able to convince him to allow Merlin and Gwen to join as guests and not as servants. She was enjoying their casual conversation, speaking as if they were friends and not all on different statuses. She looked at the group before her a soft smile growing on her face as she looked at each of them carefully. 

Magdelena thought it was a perfect night, which made her worry, wondering what terrible thing would happen to ruin this moment. Just as she expected the doors opened and the two knights did their best to hold back the stable boy who was thin and quick as he evaded their armored arms easily, "What has you in such a rush?"

"Maggie your horse is going crazy," the boy says, Arthur waves a hand and the two knights stop their chase of the poor exhausted boy, "You said that you want to care for him personally and to tell you if there was ever a problem." 

Magdelena sighs sadly, "There goes the perfect night," she mutters standing from her seat, "Thank you for coming to get me, Hank." 

Magdelena follows the stable boy from the dining hall, through the halls down into the courtyard through the wooden doors that lead to the stables. Entering she can hear Gilthunder going crazy, kicking and neighing like a horse gone mad. The other horses were a little worked up as the stable hands did their best to calm them down as well, "Gilthunder whatever has you worked up like this?" 

'The Goddess is summoning you to her,' Gilthunder tells her confusing her, 'It is rare indeed when she calls upon you to come to her and not appearing to you.'

"Can it wait three days?" Magdelena asks, hopeful that she could at least get through her wedding day before having to leave on an adventure. 

'I am sorry Magdelena,' Gilthunder says nudging her gently with his head, 'We leave now.'

Magdelena allowed her head to fall, "I will go change and pack some things," she whispers to him, "Can you meet me in the court yard? Or do you want me to come get you?"

'I can meet you in the court yard,' he says she nods before taking her leave from the stables heading back to her chambers. She enters the chambers, Gaius was luckily out somewhere, and Merlin was not in the chambers that she could see. She hurries to the small truck that was under her bed, pulling it out and shoving some things into the bag. 

She quickly changes into the outfit she normally changed into, brown leather pants, brown leather boots and her normal puffy white shirt with corset and arm cuffs. She grabbed the red cloak that Arthur had given her not too long ago, making her smile sadly as she clipped it around her shoulders. 

Throwing the bag around her shoulders as well, she moved around grabbing a few supplies and potions, shoving them into her bag she moved through the chambers. Pausing she grabs a paper and writes out a quick explanation placing the folded partchement on Gaius's pillow before she leaves the chambers heading to the kitchen. She stole some food, leaving some gold on the table before she raced to the court yard. 

Arriving there she saw Gilthunder standing there with Gaius in front of him, in his hand the letter and on his face was a disaprroving scowl, "What is the meaning of this Magdelena?" He snapped at her harshly, "I saw you leaving with a bag packed and in a rush. I am lucky you made a stop before coming here." 

"Gaius you have to understand. I don't want to leave," she says staring at him sadly, "but the Goddess has summoned me for some reason. I have to go see her, but I will return I promise." 

"What are you talking about Maggie?" 

"Gilthunder informed me that I have been summoned by the Goddess," she says motioning to her horse, "I have to go to her. Please Gaius this is something I have to do."

"Maggie but tomorrow is the last day of the tournoment," Gaius says staring at her taken back by her actions, "Your wedding to Arthur is two days from now. What am I meant to tell him?"

"Tell him I went to collect my mother," she says simply, "I have an idea where she is, it is barely a few hours ride from here." 

"Fine I will cover for you," Gaius says staring at her carefully, "but it will all fall apart if your mother arrives and you are not with her." 

"I know Gaius," she says staring at him, "And I don't have Baxton to send you to tell you if I will be longer." 

"I know." 

"Gaius, I am sorry to put you in this position," she says, "Though I was hoping it would take you longer to return to your chambers and rea dmy letter. I was hoping to already be gone." 

"You be safe Maggie, you are no longer unkillable," Gaius says, she hugs him tightly before jumping on Gilthunder. She takes off from teh court yard, leaving the lower town and entering the forest. 

They arrive at the twisted tree, one she had been unable to get to since she had last visited her father. After the loss of her powers, her necklace to enter was lost and she has been unable to enter the realm alone. Gilthunder pauses as he comes to the tree, removing his enchantment showing his beautiful wings and his horn. 

Pressing his horn to the tree it began to twist before the openning was open showing the magical world beyond it. She smiled at the sight but remembered what she was doing there, not for a friendly visit or to see her father but to speak to the Goddess. Gilthunder stepped through the portal, Magdelena felt the magic wash over her like a warm water mist.