Chapter Twenty-Four

24. Nothing To Fate

It was a rare day indeed when Gaius woke up and was rather happy to sit with the book between Magdelena and himself while she asked questioned which he was glad to answer. They joked about medical terms, they messed up pronunciations, they smiled and laughed which was broken as knights stormed into the chambers, "Gaius you are wanted by Lord Agravaine to be questioned," the odd-numbered knight says while the other two grab him by his arms and begin to lead him out the chambers. 

Magdelena was already on her feet, "Questioned about what?" she demands trying to stop them  from taking the older man in such a manner, "He has two legs you buffoons he can in fact walk!"

"Maggie just go back to the chambers," Gaius says but she continues to follow him and the three knights through the halls to the council chambers. They pause outside the chambers, the two wooden doors opened to show the room, filled with the wooden table and chairs, Lord Agravaine and King Arthur who was sitting off in the back. 

"I'll wait out here to escort you back to your chambers," she says loud enough for Agravaine to hear, which earned her a glare from said man. The knights entered, the two guarding the door closed it behind Gaius and keeping Magdelena out. She paced the hallway in front of the door, waiting for Gaius to come out a free man or for some evidence to be presented and he forced down into the dungeons. 

Magdelena pauses her pacing as the knights made moves to open the door, out walked Gaius looking unharmed and rather peeved. She smiled to see he was not in shackles and being arrested, "Why do you look as though Merlin forgot to clean your leech tank?" 

Gaius can't help the small smile that grows on his face at her small quip, "I believe the King believe that I might possibly be the traitor," Gaius says shaking his head in disbelief, "I fear Agravaine may be more on his shoulder than we first suspected." 

"Or perhaps Arthur believes it to be Agravaine and wishes to see how the man plans to go about his business without having Agravaine walking on eggshells," she says in a very soft whisper into Gaius's ear, "After all a man who believe he is free often walks right back into his own shackles." 

Gaius stays quiet until they enter his chambers and he whirls on the girl, "What, my dear Maggie, would make you believe that?" 

Magdelena shrugged playfully, "Perhaps because the King came to me speaking of how Agravaine believe you to be the traitor yet Arthur doesn't not think you could be so any more then his knights," she says with a smile at the physician, "He is just allowing Agravaine believe he has Arthur wrapped around his finger. Until he plays right into his hands to prove he is the traitor." 

"What if he doesn't do anything that could prove him to be the traitor?" Gaius asks his face scrunching at he looks at the young girl. 

"Oh please Gaius," she says a mischievous look on her face, "When have we ever left anything to fate?" 

It was beginning to grow darker and Gaius and Magdelena were continuing their reading from that morning when a knock on the door interupted them. Pausing their work Gaius went to answer the door, opening it to show a knight, "I bring a message from Lord Agravaine to Mag-del-ena," he says sounding all too serious and gruff, "Is she perhaps still here and avaliable to hear this message?" 

"Maggie there is a knight here for you," Gaius says moving to allow the knight to enter the room, "Go ahead speak your message."

"Lord Agravaine would like to apologize for coming to you so late at night but wishes to speak with Lady Mag-del-ena," she smiles softly at him as he struggles to pronounce her name, "He asks that you come to his chambers, for he has some things he wants to discuss with you."

"What if I should refuse to his company?" 

"I am to return and inform him that you have refused," the knight says staring at her slightly fearfully, she wonders what woul dhappen to the poor knight if she did refuse, "Is that your answer Lady Mag-del-"

"Please call me Maggie, second I am no Lady so just Maggie is fine," she says standing up from her seat sending a small smile to Gaius, "I shall speak to him, please lead the way Sir-"

"James," he says making her smile softly kissing Gaius's cheek who gave her a slightly worried look as she is lead by the knight through the halls to the chambers of teh Lord. He knocked on the door a few times, "Lord Agravaine, it is I Sir James, and with me the - Maggie." 

The doors opens, "I told you to refer to her as Lady Magdelena," the Lord says rather annoyed at the knight who looks at him rather scared. 

"And I gave him permission to call me Maggie, and seeing as how I am no lady it is only fair to not be refered as such," she says staring at him not showing her annoyance, "Now why is it you asked me here?" 

"Please come in," he says opening the door to his chambers more to allow her room to pass, "We have much to discuss, I have had some tea brought and some small snacks." 

"How long to expect this talk to last m'Lord?" she asks making sure to use his title with as much sarcasm as she could put into one word. 

"Well I wanted to apologize first and foremost," he says, she had to admit if she didn't know whose team he was really one she might have believed him, "Arthur is my nephew, and he seems to love you very much. I have to admit your courting is rather a new thing for Camelot, a servant and a royal together, you see. But I can see now that-"

"Who are you trying to convince here?" she asks cutting him off suddenly, "I know you are working for Morgana, I know you want Arthur dead, I know that there is no way that you are actually wanting to apologize to me. Or try to get to know me for the sake of your nephew. You have an alterior motive and while I have no idea what that is, I will not play into your hand." 

"Oh but you have just by coming here," he says a smirk on his face, "You just don't realize it." 

Magdelena has no time to respond as the warning bells sound and she looks at Agravaine, who still was smirking at her. The malous in his eyes made her turn and run from his chambers wanting to know what the reason for the warning bells were.