7 | Bonding Over Video and Paper

DesireeApril 26, 2019 (5:30 PM)

Desiree
April 26, 2019 (5:30 PM)

Vance and I been writing to each other for almost three months. We found a new way to communicate tho.  It was through video call but the video is always laggy. So sometimes we would video call and sometimes we would just write when we didn't wanna go through the trouble of video calling.

His smile was so cute and his voice was expectedly deep. When we first video called each other through the website, I was so nervous.

Flashback to March 15, 2019

A piece of the letter said, 'Ima be waiting for you at 7:00' and right now it's 6:59. I was ready to see Vance's face lively and I'm pretty sure he was ready to see mine.

But, what if he doesn't like what he sees? He prolly finna think I'm a whole catfish.

I covered my laptop's camera while I got ready for the call to connect.

When it did, his beautiful face, filled the square. I then slowly brought my hand down from off of the camera. I had on my reading glasses and I let my hair out.

"Wassup?" His voice came out gruff as hell.

"Hi," I said shyly, covering my mouth.

"Girl, lemme see ya full face, I ain't go through all of that to talk to some eyes," he said causing me to let out a light chuckle.

I removed the hand from my mouth so he was now seeing my whole face.

"Yeah, that's exactly what the fuck I came to see," he said as he smiled. "You beautiful as hell."

I smiled back. "Thank you."

"How are you?" I asked him.

"..........I'm fine. I'm chillin. You?" The sound wasn't matching the movements but it was whatever. I didn't expect prison to have the best WiFi. Lmao, I ain't  expect them to have WiFi at all.

"Same as you. I ain't got nothing to do around here for real."

"I'm the same. So where you chillin at? Where do they call the room you're in right now?" I asked him while I looked in his background to see some other inmates sitting and conversing.

"This shit is called the day room."

"Why they-"

We spent the rest of the time we had talking to each other. It was crazy, I mean, as corny as it sounded, we got so deep into conversation that I completely stopped caring that he was an inmate.

End of Flashback

I just got done reading the letter that came for me today. He's in 'the hole' right now cause he got into a brawl so he's not gonna be able to write or call for a week.

But a couple days ago for my birthday, he sent me this cute video message wishing me a happy birthday. I still have it saved in my phone.

I guess you can say that I'm making a connection beyond my beliefs and I'm loving it. Even though I haven't seen him in person, he gives me that feeling whenever we talk over video chat.

End of Chapter