Pool Parties and Cotton Shirts

"I burn easy"

She lied even easier. That was a skill taught to her courtesy of Rose. Well, taught might be too liberal. Force might be better. Still, they all seemed so satisfied with that answer and offered a sympathetic  smile and nod. 

On one of the hottest days of the year of course Rose had to do it, right before the goddamn pool party. Pearl hadn't even wanted to come in the first place. But Rose had begged and pleaded until she was practically pink in the face. She bitterly replayed the memory in her mind. It had been a good week. Pearl was reading her book, relaxing after a long day at work. When Rose had swept in, stars in her eyes babbling about the pool party. Pearl knew better than to roll her eyes and listened attentively. She had been so convincing that it would be good for them to go out together. Just the two of them, like they used to. God, Pearl had even joked she would wear a bikini... Oh, it made sense now. Pearl groaned. How stupid of her. 

The humid heat brought her back to reality. The white shirt clung to her lithe body. Sweat covered her face in a sickly sheen. Everyone laughed and played in the pool. Clad in only shorts and swimsuits. Oh, how she envied them. The water looked so cold and refreshing, her mind swam at the thought of even rolling up her trousers to dip her feet in. 

Rose had left her a while back, splashing in the pool with the kids and parents. Pearl sourly cursed her for not bringing Steven, he would've loved this. And maybe she wouldn't have felt so alone... She was rather glad Rose wasn't near her. Pearl must've looked quite the sight, who wears a shirt and slacks on a blistering hot day? Apparently her. Rose outshone her in every possible way. They were the perfect couple. Everybody said so. Where Pearl was tall and thin Rose had curves and hair to die for. But she had always felt so small next to her. Insignificant. 

Rose always seemed to like to remind Pearl of that fact. 

A faint breeze brushed over Pearls legs. Her sleeves rose up almost exposing last nights events. She gulped nervously and dragged them back down over her swollen knuckles. That was way too close. 

Rose caught her eye. And Pearls heart melted all over again.Her pink hair curled around her face, eyes crinkling as she laughed. Pearl didn't blame her. She had apologised profusely and Pearl had said it was fine... 

Was it really? 

Sweat trickled down her back. Her short hair stuck to the back of her neck, damp and dripping. Her heart started to pound so violently she could feel it in her face. She panicked as her stomach churned dangerously. Not now. Dammit.

After a while in the shade Pearl excused herself as she rushed to the nearest restroom. Garnet followed almost automatically . Having been best friends since kindergarten Garnet knew when Pearl was going to throw up.

Pale fingers grabbed the porcelain bowl, her body retched and heaved with each shaky breath. Pearl didn't seem to react when the door clicked behind Garnet. A dark hand rested on her forehead and instantly drew away at the heat radiating from Pearl. She was burning up. 

Pearls pale eyes rolled in her head when she tried to stand up. Garnet caught her by the forearm and waist. She gasped slightly at the sharp bones that pressed into her palms. Garnet hurriedly unbuttoned Pearls shirt as the small girls breath quickened. Pearls hands weren't quite steady or fast enough to stop Garnet from seeing the damage. All that hiding and suffering had turned to shit in a few seconds. Her hands flapped in a failed attempt to grab back her shirt. Garnets blood ran cold as soon as Pearls skin hit the light. 

Her mouth clenched shut at the sight of Pearls thin bruised back. Swirls of blacks, purples and greens stood out harshly on her pale flesh. They were everywhere. Littering not only her back, but her stomach, chest and arms. Angry red handprints and long bruises that Garnet suspected to be footmarks from being kicked assaulted her vision.