Blood, tears and a... China plate?

The plate shattered when it hit the ground, the fine China splintering into tiny chips and pieces. It was one of their fancier sets that Rose and Pearl had been gifted as a house warming present. Both women flinched at the voilent sound. Stevens eyes filled with tears as he looked at the mess he created. Pearl had never seen him look so frightened.

Pearl stood up instantly to get a dustpan, but Rose as usual, had other ideas. She grabbed the back of her pale neck, thick fingers digging into the soft skin painfully, forcing her to remain seated. Her heart started to pound. Blood rushed in her ears as she bit her lip anxiously. 

"Rose he's not wearing any shoes let me go and get something to clean it up"

"No, that's the second one he's broken. He needs to learn a valuable lesson"

Pearl whispered, her voice low as to not panic the poor boy.

"Rose please, stop it"

She didn't even blink an eye. Ignoring her as she glared at Steven. This made Pearl frantic. She had to do something. Her heart fluttered inside her ribs, panicked. 

"Rose, for god sake he's only six!"

"Steven pick up every last piece"

Pearl turned her head, pink hair tickling her cheek as she said in a thin voice.

"Let go of me"

Her grip tightened, Pearls eyes watered as she watched Steven staring at her. Pleading with her. Pearl tried and failed to give him a reassuring smile.

She struggled against Roses grasp, twisting and turning until she successfully escaped. Pearl quickly got the dustpan and walked over to Steven, hurriedly sweeping up the worst bits. Big angry shards glimmered in the low afternoon light, taunting her. Just as she shoved it in the bin Rose grabbed the back of her hair, nails scratching cruelly into her scalp, and threw her out on the balcony. Pearl staggered, breath coming out in short gasps as she grabbed the metal railing. She heard the sound of Rose slamming and locking the glass door shut.

Pearls fists slammed against the window, begging to let her in. Her knuckles bruised and bled with the force.

Steven was crying, fat tears rolling down his flushed face. His little hands bloody from picking up the pieces. She could see Rose screw her face up as she told him to stop and she wished right now, more than anything, that he would. She had heard those words so many times before and knew it would be worse if he cried.

She didn't expect the slap. It was hard and open. Right across Stevens cheek. She bent down smiling sweetly as Steven gazed at her in shock. She whispered something to him that Pearl couldn't make out and then simply walked away. As soon as she was out of sight Steven sprinted to Pearl, throwing open the sliding doors. She collapsed into him. Her back ached from his tight grip.

He kept crying to her, his voice cracking.

 "I'm sorry, I'm sorry mom, I'm so sorry..."

Pearl could feel her heart break for him. 

It was so fucking unfair, she promised she wouldn't. Pearl felt sick to her stomach. Like she might vomit at any given moment. 

"Steven, sweetheart. Its okay. That shouldn't have happened. It was only a plate." 

She gave him a watery smile as she tugged him towards the first aid box. He trailed behind her clutching at her trousers and grasping her hand with all his might. She lifted him up on the table and carefully picked out the glass stuck in his palms. After she bandaged him up she kissed his forehead and got him ready for bed. 

She was furious. She promised she wouldn't touch him. 

Fucking liar.

What did she even expect?

"Mom?"

"Yes Steven?"

Pearl pulled his lion pyjamas over his head, ruffling his curly hair.

"Did I do something wrong?" 

A sigh escaped her thin lips. 

"No Steven"

"But why would she-

She sat on the edge of his bed, making herself eye level with Steven. 

"Listen, your mother... she made a mistake okay? It was only a plate. Steven please don't blame yourself. You did nothing wrong okay?" 

He didn't look so sure but nodded.

She hated that she had to explain this to Steven. That his punishment wasn't just. That his mother made a 'tiny' mistake. That it shouldn't have happened in the first place. That it won't happen again. Pearl felt suddenly smaller than she had before. She wasn't able to stop it. She wasn't able to protect him. Frustration bubbled in her mouth. She was so mad she could spit. He didn't deserve this. 

Pearl read Steven one of his favourite stories. Even doing all the funny voices until he began to relax and let out a chuckle. He snuggled close into her side, eyes closing as he listened to his mothers voice. As she neared the end she told him to stay put as she slipped into her office. When she came back she produced an old brick phone. She had considered doing this for quite some time in case of emergencies. She had never really felt the urge to actually follow through until now. 

He toyed with the phone, looking up at his mom confused. 

"Steven please, listen to me very carefully. If you ever get scared or don't feel safe I want you to ring this number okay?" 

His eyes widened as he cradled the phone to his heart. 

"Who is it?" 

"It's Garnet"

"But I-

"I don't like it very much either, but if something happens I want you to be safe okay? All you have to do is tell Garnet you need her and she'll come." 

"But Mom, what about you?"

That hit Pearl right in the chest. Just as hard as one of Roses hits. She could feel her lashes grow heavy with tears. 

"I- goodnight Steven"

"Night Mom." 

"I love you"

"I love you too"