Home is nothing without him

A week or so later all was back to normal. The bruises and aches had faded.

Steven clambered into his mothers' room. He adored his parents, in his eyes they were the best moms in the world. They seemed to balance one another out beautifully. Pearl tended to be more motherly and stricter than Rose. Who would often let Steven run wild, which would be liable to result in injury. But Rose would always patch him up. Pearl found it strange, how she would cry with Steven as she placed a bandaid over his grazed knee. As if she could feel his pain. Yet she would hurt her and not even bat an eye. Like she was nothing. Maybe she simply didn't matter as much as him?

Both laughed heartily as Steven burrowed in between them. He liked to face Pearl when the three cuddled. He could wrap both arms around her when she hugged him. Like he was protecting her. He didn't quite know what from. It just felt right. Pearl clenched her teeth as his nose bumped against her collar bone hitting a certain sore part that was still healing. Steven breathed in, smelling her scent. To him she smelt like home.

Steven watched with a wide grin as Rose softly moved a wild strand of hair out of Pearls face.  He was completely oblivious to the shake in her hand as Rose touched her. His eyes closed in bliss as he was squished between the two. She was so tender with her. The way she would brush her hands over Pearls skin made it feel like she was burning. It made all of it feel so worth it.

She suddenly leaned over Steven, rolling him hard into Pearl. He could hear his moms heart race. Blue eyes became half lidded as a pink waterfall of hair fell around the two. She lightly kissed her, slipping her tongue across Pearls lower lip teasingly. She shivered at the softness of Roses ample lips pressed flush against her own. She stroked Pearls jaw before being interrupted by Stevens giggling.

"Moms heart sounds like a drum!"

Pearl blushed heavily as Rose laughed so hard she had tears in her eyes. Pale fingers ran through Stevens hair as he settled down, his brows furrowed as though he was deep in thought. After a couple seconds he beamed and announced he wanted to have a Together Breakfast. Pearl found the idea adorable and jumped out of bed to grab her robe before heading into the kitchen to make pancakes.

Steven and Rose followed suit after an impromptu pillow fight. Pearl smiled as she mixed the batter, hearing the two laughing and joking as they threw pillows at each other. When they did appear, hair mussed and cheeks pink, Pearl set them to work cutting various fruit. As Pearl arranged the food, she felt Rose slide her arm around her waist pulling her close, she couldn't help but lean into her. Her hands moved fast as she put the final touches of cherries on the whipped cream.

As they sat down to eat the glorious pile of food Pearl felt her stomach close up. She had had problems since high school. Garnet had helped her through some of the rougher patches. Almost like coaxing a frightened cat, she would encourage her to eat as much as she could. Roses approach however, was much different.

She whispered to Pearl a look of concern etched on her face

"Maybe try and avoid the rich foods, you don't want your stomach to get upset."

In the end Pearl hardly touched hers.

Steven always noticed his mothers hollow eyes as she tried to eat food and how she would struggle to even eat a quarter of her meals. Small hands grabbed a container from a drawer, mouth still chewing on his pancakes. He said he would save it so she could eat it later, when she was feeling hungrier. Her smile was empty, but she nodded not wanting to disappoint the boy.