16 : 𝖦𝗈𝗈𝖽𝖻𝗒𝖾, 𝖯𝗋𝗂𝗇𝖼𝖾 𝖸𝖾𝗈𝗇𝗃𝗎𝗇

「✨」

「Y/N's POV」

"Get them."

Prince Yeonjun shoved me aside and opened the nearby window. Though hesitant, he urged me to jump out. I heaved my clothing up and climbed, the Prince following me behind. Prince Soobin ordered his guards to go around the corner to catch us. However, Prince Yeonjun hastily grabbed his horse which stood by the corner. He helped me mount onto and he hoisted himself up after.

"Go, go, go!" He panicked and whipped the ropes bounding the horse's mouth.

We took off as it began to rain hardly, turning to a storm in a matter of minutes. Luckily, the gates of the palace were open. We heard a couple hooves following us. I looked back and saw a few more guards chasing us. I held tightly around Prince Yeonjun's waist. He urged the horse to go faster since the guards were catching up.

"OH MY GOD!" I yelped as an arrow flew past me.

Prince Yeonjun groaned and turned his head to speak to me. I leaned closer to hear him.

"Y/N, I shall hop off this horse to distract the guards."

"NO!" I shook my head aggressively. "ARE YOU CRAZY?! I CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT!"

"If that's the only thing to keep you alive and safe then so be it." He stated firmly. "I want you to lead this horse uphill. If I manage to escape the attacks then I shall meet you there."

"YOUR HIGHNESS, NO! I CAN'T LET YOU DO THIS!"

"I love you, Y/N. I hope you'll never forget." He smiled and gave me a chaste kiss.

"PRINCE YEONJUN!"

I tried to call his attention but he already stood up, brought out a dagger and hopped off the horse. I tugged on the rope, making it stop. I was about to get off when the guards advanced towards us. Prince Yeonjun stood before me bravely. Even though his opponents were well equipped and he only had a dagger; he didn't flinch.

"Leave her alone." He commanded but the guards aimed their arrows at me. "I am the Prince of this kingdom, how dare you disobey me?! LOWER YOUR WEAPONS AND LEAVE HER ALONE!"

Still, no luck. Prince Yeonjun glanced at me sideways. I took a gulp and gripped on the ropes tightly. He held out a hand.

"Run, Y/N." He ordered. "Go. NOW!"

Arrows came firing at me. I miraculously had dodged a few and yelped on the horse to dash away. I looked back and saw Yeonjun running towards the thick forest on the side of the road. Most of the guards followed him while around two of them tailed me. I brought my gaze back to the way. I whipped the ropes harder to make to increase the speed. I beckoned the horse to turn to the forest as well. My plan was to lose the guards in the middle of the woods and by chance meet Prince Yeonjun as I do.

"Come on." I hissed. "Faster!"

"The peasant girl, shoot her!"

"Shit, shit, shit.."

I can't die like this. I have to save the Prince. I have to save the kingdom! If only they knew how bad of a fate they were heading to. If only they knew I was here to give them a better chance! A light clothing had caught my eye. Prince Yeonjun was dashing past the trees in a distance. I watched him go. He didn't notice me. I made the horse take a sharp turn but the guards still followed me around. The night was getting deeper, it was hard to navigate the forest with rainclouds covering even the slightest of moonlight. The guards have managed to light up torches of their own which made me even more terrified. All of a sudden, I heard a cries of pain from a nearby spot. It echoed throughout the forest. And then followed by another wince, and another until Prince Yeonjun emerged in front of me with a bloody hand and his dagger was gone. I held out a hand in advance and he caught it. I pulled him up so he sat behind me while I maneuvered the horse.