Chapter 12

Reed rolled his eyes and the children went from joyful to scared. I laughed to myself at the hatred the children took to Evelyn within seconds.

Everybody's mood dropped when she entered the room, even Tris and Kayla's.

She was wearing a tight dress which was extremely short and unflattering. Her heels were high once again and her makeup was very over the top.

"Come on, let's go and get a drink babe." she said as she grabbed Reed's hand.

She scowled at me as she linked their arms and dragged him out of the room.

He seemed reluctant to leave but didn't want to cause a scene so left the room with her, leaving me with the kids.

They seemed upset to have been left by their uncle but I tried my best to distract them and soon found myself playing games with them to pass the time.

~

Before I knew it, both of the children were becoming sleepy. I hadn't realised how late it'd gotten.

Evelyn had obviously been trying her hardest to keep Reed away from me, which I found amusing seeing as we live together.

I watched the two children fall asleep slowly as I was approached by a tall, fit looking man.

He had dark brown hair and was extremely well built, with kind eyes and a little bit if stubble on his jaw. He was very tall and shadowed over me, with a smile of his face.

He was wearing casual clothes and held a beer in his hand, I assumed he was a part of Reed's gang.

"Hey." he said. "Can I sit?"

"Sure." I nodded, slightly surprised.

"I see the kids have tired you out." he laughed as he took the seat beside me.

"Definitely, but I don't mind." I smiled.

"I'm Zach." he said, putting his hand out towards me.

"Julia." I said as I reached to shake his hand.

"Oh yeah, you're the famous hostage around here. I thought I recognised you." he chuckled.

"That would be me." I sighed. "You're a part of the Vipers I assume?"

"Yep, I joined the gang a couple of years ago."

Zach and I began talking and he was a really nice guy. I could see myself getting along with him well, we talked for what seemed like hours but the time flew by.

I was weirdly comfortable around him and I could tell that we could become great friends.

After a while, Dawn and Matteo were ready to leave due to their sleepy kids. By the time they were out of the door, Ellie and Benji were practically snoring, so Zach and I helped carry them out to the car.

"Thanks for looking after my babies so well Julia. You're a natural." Dawn said.

"Thanks, i've had a lot of babysitting practice I guess." I laughed, not wanting to unload my orphan past on her too soon.