Chapter 44

Reed's POV

The next morning, I woke up with Julia by my side as usual. She was had her arm over my chest, with her eyes shut tightly, sleeping peacefully like she usually did.

It was 6.00AM and I had to get up for work, but I didn't want to wake her, so I carefully slid myself out from under her arm.

I was half asleep but I slowly made my way to the bathroom, yawning as I went.

My mind was whirling with thoughts of things I had to do and work I had to complete. It was busier than usual, as we tried to find out as much as possible about this new gang.

We knew that they were planning something and we were trying hard to prevent it. To stop whoever they were from fooling us.

The only problem was their anonymity. We wouldn't be able to recognise anyone from the Falcons if they came close because we had no idea who was involved.

That was our main task. To find out what we're dealing with.

As I walked into the bathroom, I quickly splashed some cold water over my face to wake myself up.

Suddenly, something caught my eye. It was the small trash can lying underneath the sink.

It had something in it which alarmed me and I squatted down to take a closer look.

My suspicions were confirmed when I saw what it was, a pregnancy test.

My heart began racing and my eyes widened as I picked it up to see...two lines.

Two lines meant pregnant, right?

Surely this couldn't be possible, I always made sure to be safe and I sure as hell wasn't ready for a baby.

Julia couldn't be pregnant, could she?

I mean, the thought of a baby Julia running around didn't sound bad at all. In fact, it actually sounded pretty amazing but I wasn't ready for that yet.

Certainly one day...but not yet.

I'm in the prime of my career and I'm only 26. Not only that, but Julia wants to be a fighter and if she was pregnant then it'd be the end for her too.

No child can have two parents fighting in the mafia. It'd be cruel, as Dawn and Matteo had found out.

We were only at the start of our relationship and we didn't need a baby right now. We had our entire lives for that...I'm just not ready yet.

But if this test is real, then I'll have to be ready. I'll be supportive for Jules and I'll be the best dad that I can be.

I just needed to know why she hadn't told me. I needed to know if I really was going to be a father.

I walked out of the bathroom with the test in my hand and went over to the bed.

I sat beside Julia on the bed and gently shook her awake as her eyes fluttered open delicately.

"Good morning." she yawned as she smiled and pulled the pillow closer to her.

"Morning baby." I said as I kissed her on the head. "I'm sorry to wake you...but we need to talk about something."

"What's wrong?" she asked, sitting up on the bed beside me.

"I just want you to know that whatever happens, I'm going to be with you every step of the way, okay? We can do this together." I said, taking her hand.

"Reed, what's going on? You're kind of scaring me."

"I erm- I found this in the bathroom."

I held up the test in front of her as realisation washed over her face. She looked relieved and I couldn't quite understand why.