Chapter 1

February 14th

I hate being out here so late, why'd I take Pixie's shift? I was walking back to my apartment late at night because I covered for my friend Pixie. Her grandma isn't feeling so well so she's trying to help her get better. Almost home. Then I can crash into my bed and sleep. Not what the universe had in mind.

"Hey there, sweet cheeks." Said a man's voice, but I couldn't see him.

"Who's there?" I spoke into the darkness. There was a chuckled and the sound of footsteps. Out of the darkness stepped a man.

"No one you know, darlin'."

"Ugh, great. Tonight of all nights." I muttered. "Look, mister, I gotta get home. If you wanna do this another night, that's ok. Just not tonight."

"But where's the fun in that?" He asks as he began walking toward me. Goddamn it! I'm screwed!

"Dude, leave my girlfriend alone!" Shouted a voice. Girlfriend? I'm single! I turned around and there was a man with pale skin and white hair. He walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around me. "You alright, babe?" He leaned down. "Play along." He whispered, his breath cold against my neck.

"Yeah, I'm okay now that your here, baby." I leaned into him. "My knight in shining armor."

"Oh, look, I'm sorry man, I didn't know she was your girl." Said the man from the alley. My "boyfriend" tensed up.

"And that makes it okay!?" He exclaimed. "You're lucky I don't call the damn cops!"

"Sweetie, it was a simple mistake. How about we go home now?" I asked him. He relaxed and he pulled me closer to him.

"Yeah, let's go home, Babe." He unwrapped his arms from around my waist and wrapped an arm around my shoulder as we began walking away. He was cold.

"You can let go now." I whispered to him.

"Gotta make it look believable." He whispered back. After we rounded the corner, he let go of me and spun around, not seeing the guy.

"Thank you, so much. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't shown up." I said tucking some of my hair behind my ear.

"No problem. I'm just trying to help." He smiled at me. "You wanna hang out some time?"

"Oh, between school and work, I don't know when I have the time." I sighed. His face went from chill to shocked.

"School? Wait, how old are you?" He asked me.

"Turning 16 in June." He facepalmed. "Is that an issue?"

"Not at the moment. I just turned 17 a month ago."

"Doesn't mean we can't hang out." I reason. He shrugged.

"Alright, if I get in trouble, I blame you." He sighed.

"Okay, dude." I crossed my eyes and stuck my tongue out at him. "What's your name, anyway?"

"Cameron Mahkent. What about you?" He asked.

"Abigail Novarro."

"Well, Abigail, Happy Valentine's Day."

"Happy Valentine's Day, Cameron."

June 2nd

(With no over shirt yet)

"Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven because you are an angel." Cameron said as we walked through the park. I laughed and almost dropped the ice cream he bought me.

"No, but I scraped my knee crawling out of hell." I pointed at my knee. I scrapped my knee during a mission the other day. He raised an eyebrow.

"How'd you get that?" He asked.

"I fell the other day walking home from work. Ripped my favorite jeans while doing it, so I made the other side match, then some." I lied. He looked at me then shrugged, seemingly believing the lie.

"Hey, when's your birthday?" Cameron asked. I shrugged.

"June 19th, why?" I asked.

"Just wondering." He said. I snorted.

"Yeah, okay. Don't think about taking me anywhere. My family has something planned." I sighed.

"I can take you to do something after, though." He said. I looked at him. His bright blue eyes sparkled with hope. I sighed.

"Fine. You can take me and do whatever you want the day after." He smiled.

"Alright, you are gonna have a blast, I promise." He said. I got this weird feeling like I was being watched. I looked around but saw no one. Cameron's arm slipped around my waist. I looked up at him, confused.

"What are you-" I started.

"Some guys are looking at you like you're gonna be their next play toy and I don't like it." He said. Aww, that's cute. Wait, WHAT!? I blushed and stepped closer to him as we walked. This is new. As we walked out of the park, his grip on me loosened before disappearing completely and I was sort of saddened by it. What is wrong with me today!?

"You know, maybe I shouldn't have worn a skirt and a crop top." I said, not feeling as confident as I was earlier. Cameron stopped walking, so I stopped and looked at him.

"Are you saying that because of those creepy guys? I swear to g-" He gently grabbed my shoulders and looked at me. "Those guys are lucky I didn't beat their asses for staring at you that way. Because if I had left you alone, someone could've kidnapped you, I'd never forgive myself and then your parents would've killed me." I laughed.

"Sorta because of them. I no longer feel as confident as I did when I left the house." I crossed my arms in front of my chest and my hands covered my shoulders. My skin is exposed and it's not okay now. Something was placed over my shoulders. I saw blue fabric fall over my arms. Cameron's button-up? Did he-

"You can wear it for now. Until your comfortable." I looked up at him. He was now only in denim jeans and a white tank top. He was also rubbing the back of his neck like he was nervous.

"Oh, uh, thanks, Cam." I smiled and looked down toward the ground. I think I may like Cameron, but what am I gonna do about it?

Later that day

Cameron walked me home, fearing somebody might kidnap me or worse. It was cute if I'm being honest.

"Have a good night, Abby." Cameron says, starting to walk away.

"Wait, Cameron." I said, slipping his button-up off. I held it out to him. "You might want this back." He looked at it and smiled at me.

"Keep it. I think you looked pretty cute wearing it. Oh, and we're hanging out at my place tomorrow." He said, before walk away. I blushed and walked into my apartment.

"Hey, Mama. Hey, Daddy." I said, walking into the living room.

"Hey, sweetheart. How was your day out with Cameron?" Mom asked. I blushed.

"It was... eventful." I said quietly. Dad looked at me.

"Did you two-" I cut him off.

"Dad! No! Why would you even think that!?" I exclaimed, blushing even more. "We went out for ice cream and then we walked through the park when a few guys were staring at me the wrong way, so he got protective and I didn't feel as confident as when I left the house, so he let me wear his button-up over it." I huffed.

"Alright, but I swear to God if that boy-"

"I get it~" I whined. I walked to my bedroom and face-planted on my bed. I groaned, pulling Cameron's button-up tighter around me. I can't believe my dad! Why would he think that?

"Mom!" I called. "I need girl time!" She came running in.

"What's up, sweetheart?" She asked.