Chapter 5

Around 2 and a half hours later, my dad opened the door and walked over to me.

"What is he doing here?" He asked.

"This drunk guy grabbed me and wouldn't let go, so Cameron beat the crap out of him. He got hurt a bit so I dragged him here, cleaned him up, and said he was staying whether he liked it or not. Gave him a pair of basketball shorts that I stole from you to change into while I changed in the bathroom." I ran my fingers through Cameron's hair when he moved a bit. His grip on me tightened a bit.

"Please don't leave me." He said so quietly, I almost didn't hear him.

"Shhhh, go back to sleep." I ran my fingers through his hair. "I'm right here, Cam." I looked at Dad. "He's been doing that all night. Poor guy." Dad sighed and look at his watch.

"I've gotta go to work. I'll see you tonight, though." He kissed my head. "Night, baby girl."

"Night, Daddy." I said. "Can you open my window? It's kinda hot in here." He walked over and opened my window, looking at me. "Speedy came over a couple of hours ago to check on me. The team was worried about me. I haven't talked to them in a few weeks." He chuckled and walked over to my bedroom door.

"I still can't believe my daughter is a superhero." He smiled and shut my door. Cameron bolted upright, sweating.

"Abby!" He shouted.

"Woah, Woah. Cameron, I'm right here." I placed my hand on his cheek and made him look at me. "I'm right here. You're okay." The look on his face worried me. He looked scared, yet relieved, tears streaming down his cheeks. His hand went to my stomach and he lifted my shirt a bit, brushing his abnormally cold fingers against my skin. He sighed and his hand dropped, pulling my shirt down. "Lay back down. Tell me what happened." I leaned back against the headboard. He sniffled and scooted back a little, leaning his head on my shoulder and wrapping his arms around my waist. "What happened, Cami?"

"Bad dream, that's all." He sniffled again. I rubbed his back slowly.

"What happened?" I asked. He tensed and didn't speak for a while.

"You and I were hanging out around the city like we usually do when this guy came out of nowhere and shot you in the stomach. I got you to a hospital as fast as I could, but I was too late. You died on the hospital bed." His legs tangled with mine as his grip on me tightened. "When I woke up, I thought it actually happened. I thought you were gone." I looked at him and ran my fingers through his hair again.

"Cami, it's gonna take a lot more than a bullet to get rid of me." I kissed the top of his head. "You will never get rid of me. Like I said earlier, you are stuck with me for the rest of your life"

"I know, I know. It just scared the shit outta me." He sat up a bit and looked at me. He brushed his hand against my cheek and smiled. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd probably go kill somebody." I chuckled, grabbing the hand on my cheek gently. "Tell me I'm wrong."

"You're probably right." He looked toward the floor and sighed. I heard my parents' door open down the hall. Huh, Mom's up. Cameron laid back down and wrapped his arm around me again, burying his face into my stomach. I ran my fingers through his hair as Mom opened my bedroom door.

"Morning, you two." Mom said smiling.

"Nope. Not doing this right now. Too tired." Cameron muttered. He waved at her as I laughed.

"Morning, Mama. Did we wake you up or did Daddy?" I asked.

"It was your dad. He came in and told me that Cameron stayed the night here. I also heard him scream. Is everything ok?" I looked at Cameron as he tightens his grip and snuggled into my stomach more. I ran my fingers through his hair and looked back at Mom.

"He had a bad dream. But he's okay now." I gave her the 'I'll tell you later' look and she nodded.

"Well, since I'm up, I'm gonna make some breakfast. Anything specific you want?" She asked.

"Mama, it's 6 a.m." I snorted.

"All the crying made me hungry." Cameron mumbled. I looked down at him.

"You're supposed to be on my side." I laughed. He shrugged.

"You're mom has the right idea. Food sounds good right about now." He said. Mom looked at us. I looked at her.

"Biscuits and Gravy." I said. She nodded and shut the door, before opening it again.

"No funny business, you two." She said, pointing at us. My eyes widened.

"Ma!" I exclaimed. She laughed and shut the door again. "I can't believe her."

"At least she cares." Cameron sat up. "My dad could care less what I do. I could be gone for a year, and he wouldn't give a damn." Cameron sat up and dragged me with him. "You're parents care where you are and if you come home at night."

"Well, I care if you're okay. You have me and my parents now, get used to it." I ruffled his hair. He shook his head.

"I have you and your mom. I think your dad hates me." Cameron said, looking down. I grabbed his head and made him look at me.

"He doesn't hate you, Cami. He's just protective of me. I'm his only daughter." I poked his nose.

"Yeah, okay. Whatever you say." I yawned and rubbed my eyes tiredly. Staying up all night was a mistake! I placed my head on Cameron's chest. "Did you sleep at all last night?"

"Nope. You kept mumbling in your sleep and I need to make sure you were okay." I yawned again. Cameron wrapped his arms around me and got out of bed, picking me up, and walking into the living room.

"Well, after we eat breakfast, we're going back to sleep. We got home at around, 2 this morning, I think. And it's only 6 o'clock. I'm running on 4 hours of sleep and your running on none." Cameron said, setting me down on the couch, sitting next to me.