Ch.1 Pills and Joy

((Hi! Authors note here. In this story it is aimed for mature audiences. This story may/will include: harsh language, abuse. This notice may be updated as I work on this story))

A metal door slammed open, hurried footsteps rushed down a staircase as a skeleton panted. Another set of footsteps were dashing right behind the other, quickly closing the gap between them.

"You get back here, NOW!", A voice said with such venom. Such hate and yet...there was a sickening ring in his voice. Like the sicko enjoyed it. Enjoyed chasing the panicked other like a wolf chasing a rabbit. It was only a matter of time before he caught up. His eyes were piecing into the other with determination. A grin formed as the corner of his mouth curled up.

"N-No! I have done nothing wrong!", The voice trembled, echoing and bouncing off the walls. The wooden staircase creaked, muffling the panting and the officer's snapping voice.

"You're only making this worse for yourself! If you stop now, I may play nice!"

"N-No! I-I-", before the prey could even finish, his foot slid off the steps. A sharp gasp followed as he found himself falling down the stairs. What a shame...this was certainly going to leave him sore tomorrow.

He fell down the stairs, hitting every other step on the way down before finally hitting the hard wall. The skeleton hit his head on the wall, blacking out of a moment. His vision flickered in and out as he tried to focus.

"Look at you...now I have to deal with a downer and an injured fool. All you had to do was stop...running...but you didn't.", A grin went over the officer's face. The scene of seeing the downer hurt amused him. It was entertainment... This was the most fun he had in awhile. Most crooks and downers would freeze in fear, begging to be let go usually. How boring....

Not this one though, oh no...this one ran. Pretty far too. This one managed to run down the hall and out into the emergency stairwell, down a few sets of stairs. He wished the run lasted a bit longer, maybe he would be more tired and a little more... merciful.

But now...this downer was going to pay,"You are under arrest.", The officer lifted his heeled boot, bringing it down on the others hand. A loud cry echoed through the stairwells.

Firstly... This day wasn't supposed to end up like this, not at all. Puff certainly didn't wake up this morning and think,'Why today is a nice day to get arrested by cops! Quite so! I'll stop taking my joy to attract and cop and go into a chase'! Though... people's plans can change. Just...in this case for the worst.

To understand the situation, one must start from the beginning. Much before Puff ran off from the scene. Even much before Puff met the officer. Puffs day started off much like any other morning.

******

An alarm clock ringed out a pleasant little tune. 7:30 flashed as a bony hand reached out, pressing a button and silencing the noise. A few birds tweeted outside, some even pecking at Puff's window.

"Alright, alright...I'm up. ", Puff groggily sits up, rubbing his eyes. The last few late night shifts were throwing him schedule. He'd love to rest more but he has work today. Thank God tomorrow he'll be off.

With a long yawn and a stretch, he hopped out of bed, opening his top drawer. A light blue bag of bird seeds sits, tied closed with a nice orange ribbon. Birds excitedly tweet, crawling over each other for a closer look.

Each and every morning, Puff made sure to give the birds some seed, give them a little boost for the day. Everyone deserves a good start and a happy mood. Oh! Speaking of being happy ...

Puff's eyes fall towards an orange pill container. In this city, it is expected no ... Mandatory to take these pills. They make everyone peppy, happy, and give them the boost they need for the day. It is a strict law, if someone is caught without taking joy...well... who knows, a lot of downers are taken by police. Most don't come back. The ones that do come back, well, they've taken quite a beating.