7 | Set You Free

"How could you ever love me?
My attention is never yours, it's never on me
And I respect you, of course, I hate to see you cry
But I'm the reason why, shorty
I'm Jekyll, I'm Hyde, I can't even lie
Everybody want that crazy love
Until they find a crazy one"
- Wale

"How could you ever love me?My attention is never yours, it's never on meAnd I respect you, of course, I hate to see you cryBut I'm the reason why, shortyI'm Jekyll, I'm Hyde, I can't even lieEverybody want that crazy loveUntil they find a crazy o...

"I'm back." I announced while walking into my office. Braelynn looked up at me and I could see the nervousness in her eyes. Aimee looked between us, noticing the slightly awkward tension.

"Brae, I have to go back to work. Are you okay with being with Brynn?" She looked from Aimee to me while nodding her head. I know she's uncomfortable, and honestly I'm a bit uncomfortable too. "Call me if you need me. I just have to do the end of day wrap up." Aimee told me on her way out. I nodded and walked over to sit next to Brae on the small couch in my office.

"I know you're scared right now, and that's okay. I'm scared too. I've never had a child before." I told her while rubbing my hands against my skirt.

"Lisa said you didn't want me. That's why I had to be with her cause daddy works a lot." She rushed out, speaking in such a tiny voice. Everything about Lisa infuriates me, and every run in that I have with her she's pregnant.

"It's not that." I don't really know how to explain the situation appropriately to a four year old. "I just din't understand the situation. I don't really know Lisa. How is she?"

"She's okay." I knew she wasn't being fully honest, but it's too early to press her about details. I have to make sure that she's comfortable around me first and that's hard to do when I'm not even comfortable. "Are you really my mommy?" She looked up at me and I slightly froze. I did agree to be that mother figure for her, everything is just happening overwhelmingly fast.

"I, uh, yes. I am." Her eyes lit up and I couldn't help but to smile at her.

"My daddy tell me about you." I knitted my eyebrows, confused on how a man I just recently connected with after close to five years is talking me up to his child.

"He be saying bad stuff about me?" I said in a joking matter, bringing a giggle out of her.

"No. He say that you smart, you super nice and you live really really far away."

"Well that sounds true. Do you talk to your daddy a lot?" I really don't know anything about their relationship.

"I talk to my daddy like all the time." She said with an excitement that made me smile. It didn't really answer my question, but the reaction I got from her was enough to tell me that Gabe is someone who brings joy in her life.

"Do you have fun with him?"

"Yeah, my daddy really fun. I like being with my daddy, and grandma, and grandpa, and Uncle Noel. I wish I live with daddy. You don't wanna live with daddy?" I twisted my face up in disgust, bringing a loud giggle from her.