16 | Speak

"Speak from my heart, baby
Speak from my soul, sugar
Say what you want, lady
Act like you know who you are
Speak from your gut, honey
Say what you want, my love
Be who you wanna be"
- Jhene Aiko

"Speak from my heart, baby Speak from my soul, sugar Say what you want, lady Act like you know who you are Speak from your gut, honey Say what you want, my love Be who you wanna be" - Jhene Aiko

"Mommy?" I heard Brae's small voice as I stood in the kitchen making a energy juice with the juicer for Gabe.  I glanced over at the staircase, seeing Braelynn holding onto the rail while wiping at her eyes. I used a paper towel to wipe off my hands and walked of to the stairwell so she could see me.

"Come on, mama." I held out my hand and she trudged down the rest of the stairs to grab my hand.

"You can't sleep?" She questioned, making me laugh. She's always so concerned about me and I think it's the cutest thing.

"I had to get up super early so I can make daddy some food. He has to go to work today. You want to keep me company?" She nodded her head and I leaned down to pick her up, bringing her into the kitchen. She laid her head onto my shoulder and I turned to head into the living room so I can lay her down on the couch.

I carefully laid her onto the couch and covered her in my throw blanket. She was still struggling to keep her eyes open so i turned on the TV to play Bubble Guppies on demand. I kept the volume super low and turned back to kiss her forehead. I rubbed her back for a few seconds, watching as she finally drifted back off to sleep. I went back into the kitchen and washed my hands before going back to juicing. I'm going to have to remember to stop by Whole Foods today so I can stock up on fruit. Between juicing and making fresh fruit bowls everyday we're going to have to start buying in bulk.

I placed the lid on the pitcher of juice and placed it into the fridge. Pulling out some tortillas, vegetables, eggs and sausage, I got to work on making breakfast wraps for Gabe. I know Brae isn't getting back up anytime soon and I'm definitely about to be knocked out with her so I'll make us a separate breakfast when we wake back up in a couple hours. I released a yawn while cleaning up everything I used. As tired as I am, I miss doing stuff like this. I missed my wife life, and now I'm a mother too so I'm exploring and enjoying this new position in my life.

I poured a glass of water from the filter on the fridge and started upstairs to my bedroom where Gabe was stretched across the bed. I sat the water down on the nightstand and sat on the bed, rubbing my hand in a circular motion across his back. He let out a low groan, letting me know that he was waking up.

"Already?"

"Yes. Sit up." I moved my hand off his back, letting him sit completely up. He grabbed the glass of water, quickly gulping it down.

"Where's Brae?"

"She came downstairs while I was cooking, so she's asleep on the couch now." He nodded and stood up, stretching out his limbs.

"You made some juice?" I nodded, watching as he disappeared into the bathroom. I got off the bed and made my way back downstairs and into the living room to lay with Brae. As soon as Gabe leaves I'm going back to sleep until the sun wakes me up since I don't have to work. I switched to Disney+ and started watching episodes of Proud Family while rubbing the pads of my fingers through Brae's scalp. She started smiling in her sleep, bringing a smile to my face.