you aren't a bad person.

jeongguk bit his lips, wrapping his arms across his chest

jeongguk bit his lips, wrapping his arms across his chest. he leaned back in the folding chair, heaving an inward sigh. park hyerim lay next to him, tucked tightly into the white linen infirmary bed, her nose and mouth shielded with a ventilator. it clouded when she exhaled, and he couldn't help but sigh of relief with every breath she took.

the dumbass had a minor asthma attack during her gym class, yet allowed herself to be kidnapped by him. he shook his raven hair. whatever. now that she was fine, he'd better get away quickly before she woke up.

the harsh mechanisms of the door squeaked as it opened. "jeon jeongguk. explain yourself."

jeongguk faced the school principal, his eyes rolling as he did so. "wassup, mr jeon! missed me?"

the principal closed his eyes, folding his arms to his chest as he walked over to jeongguk. the tension in the room was thick. he placed a firm hand on his son's shoulder, a passive-aggressive grip that demanded respect from jeongguk. respect that jeongguk blatantly refused to give.

"son, you are to return home immediately. i can tolerate you stealing my car but the moment you put people in danger, you tarnish not only our family name, but my reputation as the school principal-"

"what the hell? and i thought you actually cared when i left home." jeongguk laughed in a playful manner, although the bitterness and resentment in his eyes spoke otherwise. he tugged away his shoulder from his father's reach and sauntered out of the room.

"bye dad. i'll steal your car another day if i have time."

——————————

"hyerim..."

hyerim heard a voice calling out to her while she slept. the voice was so close, yet so far. she could hear the distinct sound, but it was muffled and cloudy. where was she? she was in a dark place. no smell, no light. void of senses except for that voice calling her name.

"hyerim."

she reached her hand outwards, reaching for the bright light. oh, she wasn't in a dark room... her eyes were closed. hyerim peeled open her weary eyes and met face to face with a boy's handsome features. "oh? hi eunwoo..."

cha eunwoo sat close to her, his face twisted with concerned, so near she felt his warm breath on her cheek. his eyes burned with worry, his lips red from nervously chewing on them too much. "hyerim, do you feel better?"

hyerim heaved as she sat upright. her dry lips were covered with a ventilator, and all she could breath in was the sickly scent of medicine. her glassy eyes darted left, right, then at eunwoo's face. "where's jeongguk?"

eunwoo narrowed his eyes, slumping back in his chair. his school uniform shirt was untucked, and his black hair was disheveled and unkempt. "jeon jeongguk? my classmate? since when do you know him?"

"since he 'kidnapped' me...?"

"he what-?!" eunwoo bolted upright, rolling up his sleeves. "i'll kill him. i'll destroy him."

"please don't, i think he's a nice person..."

eunwoo glared at her. she lifted the blanket up to her chin in self defence. "you're the one who's too nice. you could have died if he didn't bring you to the infirmary in time."

"but he brought me back," she whispered. she remembered the warmth of his arms as he carried her out of the stolen car and ran to the nurses office. the thudding of his footsteps. the thudding of his heart. she was unconscious, yet those sensations were burned into her memory. jeon jeongguk's warmth.

"please don't be stubborn," eunwoo muttered as he leaned towards her again. her bright, chocolate eyes glistened under a single ray of the evening sun that streamed from the window. "if anything happens to you, i..."

"you... what?" hyerim said, her naivety and innocence radiating off her. it intoxicated eunwoo. he kissed her on the forehead.

"you just stay out of trouble."

"yessir!" she grinned, touching her forehead with her dainty fingers. a friendship kiss was what she thought it was. eunwoo shook his head and left the infirmary.

he hated being friends with her.