a kiss is special.

when she woke up again, it was because she heard a small sniffle

when she woke up again, it was because she heard a small sniffle. jeongguk sat next to her sleeping, head bent so she couldn't see his face, but the tip of his head. his black long hair looked fluffy, she couldn't help but twirl a lock between her fingers.

jeongguk's delinquent instincts instantly reacted by snapping awake and grabbing her palm tightly. "what are you doing?"

"jeongguk, it hurts..." she whimpered and he froze, releasing his grip. had he used too much strength? this girl was so tiny he was afraid of accidentally breaking her. "fuck. i'm sorry."

his eyes shot to her trembling hands when he realised her abrasions from when he pushed her had not been treated. raw skin lined with dried blood tainted her pure fair hands.

jeongguk grumbled, ransacking the nurse's office for a first aid kit. "whatcha doinggg?" hyerim sang as she yawned, stretching her sore body. the blanket rolled off her legs. jeongguk tried not to look at her.

"hand."

hyerim gave him her hand like a puppy would. he grabbed her wrist and yanked it closer, applying antiseptic solution to clean the graze.

"wah... jeongguk you're quite good at this!" she smiled, her eyes forming little crescents.

"well, when you're living by yourself and you get into fights everyday, if you don't take care of yourself... who will?"

the question was supposedly rhetorical, yet sadness lingered within his glossy black eyes. hyerim felt a tug at her heart strings. "it's okay, i have some bandaids! you can come to me if you need to," she assured him, giving him a toothy grin.

poor jeongguk, always putting on a tough display when his eyes gave him away all the time.

jeongguk rolled his eyes and took her other wrist to treat it. "once i'm done treating you, we're even. you don't tell anyone what you heard."

"what did i hear...?" asked hyerim, cocking her head to a side as she fidgeted with the scratchy bandages wrapped around her palm.

"my father."

hyerim looked away guiltily, nibbling on her lips sheepishly. "how did you know i was awake?"

jeongguk traced a finger on her bottom lip. "you bite your lips like this when you're nervous, after all."

she jumped at his touch, shrinking away under the covers of the bed. her wide eyes glistened with surprise and her cheeks were tinted pink. "w-wha-"

"what's wrong?" jeongguk spoke as he dropped the first aid kit to the floor. it landed with a clatter that shook the silent room. he placed two arms on the bed, hyerim in between, and crawled closer. "are you shy?"

hyerim shook her head. "it's just... lips are special. you don't touch lips because they are special."

"hah? what nonsense are you talking about?"

"kiss..."

"bAH!" jeongguk burst out laughing. this idiot got shy because he touched her lips with his finger. his eyes slid back to her, her rosette lips...

it was as if a spirit took over him— it overwhelmed him, possessed him. he wasn't thinking straight. he smirked and leaned down. hyerim shrieked and moved, then his lips landed on her forehead.

the trance broke.

"hah! you thought i was actually gonna kiss you on the lips, didn't you? dumbass," jeongguk snorted and flicked her forehead with his fingers. he gazed at her red cheeks and felt a little funny as he did so. he wasn't going to kiss her.

jeongguk put some distance between them, picking up the first aid items that were strewn on the floor. he wasn't going to kiss her. he wasn't going to kiss her. he wasn't going to...

hyerim hissed at him and rubbed her forehead. "hmph! i'm used to forehead kisses, but lip kisses are special. don't take my first kiss away from me."

her first...

jeongguk turned around quickly, grabbing a couple lollipops on from a jar and shoving them into his pocket. "only the nurses can give you lollipops, jeongguk-"

hyerim peppy voice was cut off by the door slamming shut, as jeongguk left the infirmary in a dazed hurry. he popped the sweet candy in his mouth.

he wasn't going to kiss her... but if she hadn't moved in time he might have stolen her first kiss right then.