what are you running from?

inky black eyes sunk into his, making him awaken from his trance

inky black eyes sunk into his, making him awaken from his trance. hyerim was relieved when life and expression seeped into his face, stepping away from him. he released a breath he didn't realise he held.

ever since school ended, jeongguk hadn't spoken a single word to her. hyerim would have understood if jeongguk was just being rude like he usually was. after all, jeongguk was typically quite impertinent, like a petulant child. she thought it was cute of him.

but to not have uttered a single crude remark about her height, or tease her about being clueless... something was definitely wrong!

"you seem distracted, jeongguk," hyerim cautiously commented, speaking slowly with concern. he tried not to appear disoriented under her heavy gaze.

"i'm not. stop following me."

"but we live together."

an angry growl slipped from jeongguk's throat as he hastened his steps. so did hyerim, bouncing up and down as she walked with pep in her step. she was so fragile and tiny, yet her short legs managed to fall into step with his.

he quickly shut his eyes, forcing himself to tear away his subconscious stare when hyerim glanced in his direction. she opened her mouth to speak.

"what are you running from all the time?"

jeongguk eyes ripped open with alarm. those words were unexpected. that question of hers sent a rush of panic through his mind.

no, it wasn't the words, it was her tone. her expression. or, the lack thereof.

it was a disparate hyerim.

a hyerim with dark, jaded eyes. the reflections in them seemed to have disappeared. a hyerim that pierced into him. a hyerim who saw everything he was. he couldn't hide anything.

suddenly, she didn't seem so weak anymore.

jeongguk could not help but look away. he could not face her, not when she had that daunting look in her eyes.

"mind your own business and go back home. i'm going somewhere."

the hazy mist evaporated from her eyes, and light once again surfaced. quickly, the vitality he recognised returned to her face, the shadows under her features vanishing as quick as they came. "jeongguk, if you don't like leeks, do you like spring onions then?"

"what?"

"i'm cooking dinner," she smiled, pearly teeth appearing as she blinked at him, awaiting his response. his long, black fringe shielded his eyes but she knew he was looking at her.

"i hate all alliums," he shrugged and turned away, hands in his pockets as he swaggered away. "now fuck off."

hyerim heaved a sigh, shaking her head, both hands gripping the side of her waist. jeongguk's words may have been cruel, but before he turned away, she noticed that his onyx eyes shone with the tiniest hint of vulnerability.

——————————

an arm snaked around jeongguk's neck, wrapping him into a headlock

an arm snaked around jeongguk's neck, wrapping him into a headlock. he choked on his beer. a throaty laugh croaked, making jeongguk recoil with irritance.

"hello, yugyeom, you piece of shit," he grumbled, shoving him away with brute force. to outsiders, they may have seemed like they were fighting, but it was all in good fun. at least it was, for yugyeom. jeongguk had resisted the urge to clobber him many times.

yugyeom grinned, flashing his canines as he slumped into the barstool next to jeongguk. his bleached blond hair was styled in layered ruffles, sticking out left and right.

it reminded jeongguk of a certain someone, and a bittersweet emotion tugged at his heart. he grunted and rolled his eyes at yugyeom, who ordered his usual at the bar. a pina colada was quickly prepared.

even though they were both seventeen, this club was where yugyeom worked full-time as the main vocalist of a small band, after dropping out from highschool.

the owner of this establishment was not only a greedy man, but also a shitty one; which was why they were allowed to order alcohol, charged at a fifty percent markup.

jeongguk would always put it on yugyeom's tab, anyways.

yugyeom sipped his drink, a patronising smile resting on his lips. "so? what's wrong with your face?"

"hah?"

"usually you look grouchy. today you just look... sad."

"shut up," jeongguk ordered as he gulped the remnants of his drink. he saw his reflection on the glass table. it was true.

a distorted frown stared back at him.

jeongguk knew exactly why he felt the way he felt, but he couldn't bring himself to admit it to yugyeom. admit that he was so, so tired.

he just wanted to go home. where she was. but he couldn't call it a home for long, because one day something would go wrong and suddenly he would be alone again.

since young, jeongguk had chosen to cut people out of his life, trying to keep his pride intact. you can't leave me if i leave you first.

but it was different with hyerim. she was clingy. a part of him was so relieved.