CHAPTER FIVE

Shoto shot a glare at Touya who was snoring away in their mother's bed while Rei just watched her sons with a smile on her face. "You two were always bickering, even back then when you were still kids," she said.

"How could he say that he's visiting you when in reality, he's just sleeping all day long and leaving afterward?" Shoto said.

"Not all the time," Rei answered, "Sometimes he stays awake and chat, other times he's awfully quiet and lets me do all the talking. Either way, I'm glad that he still visits me,"

"You must've been lonely here," Shoto said. "I'm sorry for not visiting you sooner,"

Rei shook her head with a smile as she held Shoto's hand. "I understand," she said, "Besides... with your father visiting every now and then, I didn't feel so lonely anymore,"

"He... what?"

Rei smiled. "It took him a while but after he sent me away for what I did to you, he tried to keep in touch and was sending me flowers and letters to tell me what you guys have been up to while I was away. The doctors, however, prohibited him from visiting as it might trigger something in me when I was still on my recovery stage but I knew the moment I'd wake up in the morning and find flowers on my bedside table were the times your father came in for a visit," she said. "I haven't spoken to him in person yet, but... if I ever get the chance to... I'd say that I forgive him..."

"Why?' Shoto asked, "After all the things he did to you... how... how can you just forgive him?"

"People make mistakes, Shoto," Rei said, "We aren't perfect, you know..."

"I know that, but..."

Rei gave him a smile. "I hurt you... gave you a permanent scar then left you... but you still forgave me... why?"

"Because you couldn't help it," Shoto answered. "His case was different, he had a choice to love and take care of his family but he didn't,"

"Do you think it's already too late for your father to change, though?" Rei asked.

"I-I..."

"I understand how angry you are with him, the four of you, but... a person can learn from his mistakes and change for the better," Rei said, "Besides... holding a grudge for so long isn't healthy... I know how it feels and though forgiving him might not be as easy as I say... I'm still willing,"

Shoto didn't answer. "So does that mean you won't be coming home after you get discharged here?" he asked quietly and Rei chuckled.

"Once I've healed... I promise I'll come back home after all of this," she said, making Shoto smile.

"Now, about that thing, your brother said," Rei said with a smile that made Shoto blush. "Was all that true?"

Shoto bashfully nodded, training his eyes to keep its focus glued down on the table while Rei chuckled. "So you've found your mate? I would love to meet her,"

"T-the thing is..." Shoto answered, his heart hammering against his chest. "I haven't claimed him yet..."

Rei made an 'o' shape with her mouth when the realization struck her before she reached out for Shoto's chin and had him look up at her. "Why is that?" she asked.

"I-I... I'm scared..." Shoto answered truthfully before looking away. "I didn't want to hurt him..."

"Why do you think you'd hurt him?"

"I..." Shoto's voice trailed off.

Rei smiled. "Shoto, look at me," she called and Shoto hesitantly met her eyes. "Do you love him?"