2 - The Not So Wicked Witch of Kinghaven

Sebastian Spencer. Now how could one describe this man without getting lost in his deep brown eyes or resist the urge to ruffle his silky brown hair? When Matilda had first seen him standing next to the erudite Eric Alderon and the athletic Phil Montfort, she had been glad that Ursula and Mal; her two best friends, had not chosen Sebastian. That way, she could like him without crossing any bounds of loyalty. 

It was hard to ignore him and even harder to not enjoy his company. He was just so handsome, witty, smart and oh, so charming. Because that is what he was; Prince Charming™.

He had a classical look about him with his tall, lean body that simply forced you to stare as he moved effortlessly about the room. He was athletic like his jock friend Phil but less bulky. He was intelligent like his brainy friend Eric but less pretentious. That was the best thing about Sebastian. With him, there was a sort of balance. He wasn't too much of anything and just enough of everything.

Since her teen years, Matilda had a strict policy of never ever acting like anyone's fairy godmother. She had decided very early on that she would live selfishly; no conjuring the perfect dress for the girl to wear to the ball, no pumpkin carriages, no glass slippers. If there was a ball to attend she would be the one attending it. If there were glass slippers, she would be the one wearing them.

But when it came to her two best friends, Mal and Ursula, she caved. Of course, it served her selfish purposes. They were her friends and hence their happiness was her happiness. She did it for herself really.

Without any hesitation she had helped Mal and Phil conveniently run into each other again and again and without even really trying, she had gotten Ursula together with Eric by botching a spell she put on him which Ursula conveniently broke by kissing him.

She hadn't really thought about the consequences of pairing up her friends at the time, but she did now.

Matilda hated romance. It was what her life as a witch had ingrained in her. She hated couples kissing in the park (who would inconveniently get bird poop on them, oops), office colleagues receiving flowers for Valentines (which would inconveniently contain some form of a stinky bug that would cause an uproar, pity), the 'you hang up first, no you hang up first' conversations (where the line inconveniently dropped, how sad) and especially the public displays of affection.

This she hated most.

Unfortunately, she could not hate her friends so she had to put away her scowl and the urge to puke when she saw Eric kissing Ursula just to shut her up.

"Kissing me will get you nowhere mister." Ursula said to Eric with a smile.

"I could think of a couple of locations it could take us."

"Ugh, not on the table, please. I can book you guys a room if you'd like." Sebastian said with eyes glued to his phone, typing away a work email.

Ursula threw her napkin at him, "Bas! Shut up!"

Sebastian laughed but still did not look up. His laugh wasn't that loud but still a couple of female heads turned in his direction. Matilda rolled her eyes as she got near to their usual table at The Nook, their regular restaurant.

"What'd I miss?" Matilda said as she took her designated seat. Their arrangement had become fixed when they had become a "gang" back in college; it went Mal, Phil, Eric and Ursula on one side with Sebastian and Matilda either on the other side of the table or on opposite ends of the couple train.

"There she is!" Mal said. "We missed you last week."

"Eric and I went diving with sharks this weekend," Ursula said with a satisfied grin as she hugged her boyfriend, "It was epic."