8 - The Beginning of a Beautiful Hatred

"Guess what came in my mail today," Sebastian sang as he came over to her desk. Cara looked up miserably from her laptop and gave stuck out her tongue when he wasn't looking. She had been in a mood since morning.

"What?" Matilda said, already knowing what was inside the envelope that Sebastian was holding.

"Free movie tickets." he sang as he took them out from the envelope, "I won em for some free giveaway. I'm not sure how they got my contact info but who cares? It's free and it's this Saturday. Wanna go?"

One thing about Sebastian Spencer that always surprised everyone was his love of free stuff. Despite his family's wealth, he would never turn down anything that was free.

"Isn't that just peeerfect," Cara grumbled as she typed away furiously.

"What's her deal?" Sebastian asked Matilda quietly, half sitting on her desk.

"Calvin." Was all Matilda need to say for Bas to understand.

"So, what do you say?" He asked. Matilda was flattered that he had thought of her for the extra ticket. She had gotten him two because it seemed more plausible than winning only one movie ticket in some made up giveaway.

Matilda considered his offer, "It's too late in the night Bas. Plus, you know classics aren't my thing."

"Yeah that's what everyone keeps telling me."

Everyone? So I'm not the first person he asked. Matilda thought disappointedly.

"Hey Cara," he turned, "you want to—"

"No. Nonono." Matilda grabbed his hands and led him away from her desk. She could not have Sebastian taking a date to this thing and ruining her plans.

"What?" Sebastian said.

"Nothing. You're taking me remember?" Matilda smiled.

"I thought you said—"

"Changed my mind. I'll meet you at the theater, yeah?"

"Or we could go to my place. Have dinner and then leave for the movie afterwards." Sebastian suggested.

If he had said that to her before Kat, she would have accepted. Sebastian and Matilda were platonically close enough that they could hang out at each other's places, even sleep over without it turning into something weird. But now, it felt wrong.

Matilda had already begun to think of Kat as Sebastian's girlfriend and she didn't want to breach any loyalty she felt towards another woman.

"Nah. I got some errands to run." She said.

"Well okay. See you at midnight then." He said.

Matilda had originally planned to let Bas go alone, but she realized it would be easier to just watch over him and Kat whilst accompanying him. She rolled her eyes at the thought of babysitting the two of them but at least she would get a free movie out of it.

Even if it was a classic, which she always found boring.

***************

"I really like the look of this place," Ursula said as they settled into a table for six. Matilda had suggested the gang change things up and go to Captain Flint's instead of The Nook like they always did.

"It's very inaccurate, but they've really captured the feel of being in a ship." Eric stated.

"Who cares man. It's pirates." Phil said in his usual dudebro excitement.

"I really hate that I can't drink," Mal frowned.

"I'm sure they have something non-alcoholic too babe." Phil consoled her.