20 - A Heart Two Sizes Too Small

Jim came over to pick Cara up the next day. She was horribly hungover and yelled at everything. Jim kissed her forehead and told her she looked pretty when she was hung over.

Cara did not look pretty when she was hung over. Matilda had cringed at the wholesomeness of Jim's statement. The cringing look had only deepened when he carried Cara all the way down to his car, bridal style.

Ugh, couples. Matilda thought like an old crone but did not dwell on it much longer. She had a plan that she needed to see through. And it required a lot of green.

*************

The bell to the Alderon gate sounded and the security screen near the door showed a strange sight. The Grinch, holding a red gift sack much like the one Santa carried. It was not the traditional fluffy green man with skinny legs and static hairdo. This Grinch looked slimmer in a faux fur pants and shirt combination with a shade a little darker than the traditional avocado green. It was the Grinch if he had been tamed, groomed and female. The Santa coat and red boots were typically cartoonish however.

"Is this a new Millennial thing, making a statement of some kind?" Mrs. Alderon asked her son who squinted his eyes, recognizing the face of the woman who, despite the costume, still scowled more like Matilda Merryweather than the stealer of Christmas.

Matilda had chosen not to go for the animalistic nose or the beard and crazy hair. She had instead turned her skin and her hair green, figuring her resting face would be enough to convey a distaste of Christmas.

The Alderon estates cut off their access by the huge iron gates that intimidated more than they welcomed. A small room by the right inner side contained a guard who gave access for guests allowed within.

The Lady Grinch was not one of them.

"I have been here Yardley. You know me."

"I have been given strict instructions not to let you in, Miss Merryweather." The man said, giving her the side eye. Matilda had been one of the few people who had treated him the same as she had treated others so they had developed a casual friendship. Which is why when the man asked, "And just what are you wearing?" It did not seem like he spoke out of place.

"You like?" Matilda posed for him, "Made it myself."

"You dressed up as the Grinch... on Christmas?"

"Pretty cool huh?"

"You are one weird woman, Miss Merryweather." The man scrunched up his face.

Matilda grinned, "Would you expect any less?"

In their conversation, they failed to notice Eric walking up the path.

"Matilda what are you doing here?"

"Eric! I'm glad I could meet you." The statement came out rushed. Matilda hadn't prepared much of what she was going to say, just that she would go and apologize.

"Are you here to ruin another event at my home? Because if you cause a scene for the Christmas—"

"I'm not here to cause a scene," Matilda said reassuringly.

"You're dressed as the Grinch."

"I thought it'd be funny!" She argued.

"What do you want, Matilda?"

Matilda held up a finger to make him wait while she rummaged through her giant red sack.

"Here. I got these for you and Ursula." She gave him the badly wrapped gifts. "Is Ursula here?"