14 - Shards of a Broken Glass Slipper

She was gone.

Matilda searched the entire museum; every hall, every room, every bathroom cubicle. No redheaded witch in sight.

Matilda's hand curled into an angry fist around her broom, nails digging into the wood.

How the hell could this have happened? How the hell did she miss the fact that Sebastian's e was a witch? Usually she could spot magic from a mile away. How has Winnie keep herself so well hidden?

Matilda was feeling hopeless as she was standing outside the museum steps looking at the people milling about on the sidewalk. She could fly up in her broom to get a better view, but Matilda knew that would be useless. Winnie was gone and most likely through a teleportation spell.

Had Winnie realized that Matilda was witch? Did she know that Matilda knew? What was going to happen now? Would Matilda still see Winnie at work?

A million questions buzzed around in her mind like flies that wouldn't leave you no matter how much you swapped at them.

Matilda didn't know where Winnie lived. She could ask Sebastian but—Sebastian!

Matilda ran back inside and asked around for her friends. One of the staff members was kind enough to take her to the security rooms where they were holding Sebastian, Jeff and Phil. Ursula and Eric were standing there with worried faces. Kat leaned against the wall, head resting back, eyes closed.

"What's happening?"

"Matilda where had you gone?" Ursula chided, "They've taken Bas and Phil to find out what happened. Mal's in there with them in case there are any charges."

"You would think they would be careful not to let crazy people in." Eric said and Kat audibly exhaled.

"Do you think they'll blacklist Bas?"

"I don't know. But I'm sure there'll be consequences. You can't just start a random fight in the fucking Museum of Cultural History!" Eric ran a hand through his hair. "Although Alton's in there so I'm sure he'll handle things."

"I hope Phil doesn't say anything stupid."

Matilda went over to Kat and bumped a friendly elbow. She looked at Matilda with glistening blue eyes.

"I'd say this was my fault but I don't think apologizing will change anything," Kat said.

"You didn't do anything."

"He's my ex-boyfriend."

"So? You don't control him." Someone else does.

Kat just chuckled morosely, "I embarrassed him tonight."

"It wasn't you though."

Kat still gulped guiltily.

"Relaaax," Matilda gave an encouraging smile, "It'll be fine."

The door opened and Bas was the first one to come out. A fresh shiner was forming around his eye and there was a small amount of dried blood on the corner of his mouth. Alton followed after him, shaking hands with the head of security. Matilda could see Mal in one corner of the room, standing by Phil and talking to another security officer. Jeff was sitting on a metal chair with his head in his lap.

"Bas! Is everything okay?" Ursula wrapped her arms around him. He hugged her back.

"It's no big deal. Nobody's pressing any charges." He told Ursula and Eric, "Although Jeff's banned from ever entering the museum again." This he told Kat who simply nodded.

As soon as Ursula let him go he went for her, enveloping her in his arms.

"You okay?" He asked Kat quietly.