7 - The Right Circumstances

Despite what fairytales and storybooks would have one believe, love was not unconditional. It was the exact opposite. Love was all about the right conditions at the right time. It depended on everything from chemistry, psychology to even the lighting in the room. Everything had an impact. Every detail mattered. Love, by all means, was a result of circumstance.

This is why it was a fairy godmother's duty to help create the right circumstances for the two souls who were meant for each other. That is what Matilda had been taught by her mother, when she had discovered that her daughter could see the glow that very few witches could see.

"The prince didn't just fall for Cinderella because she was Cinderella. He fell for her because her fairy godmother had provided her with the right dress, the right carriage, even the right shoes. The prince saw how beautiful she was and that is what attracted him to her. And then he saw how beautiful she was on the inside, and that is what made him stay."

"Well what happened after they got married?"

"They began their happily ever after."

"What's a happily ever after then?"

"I wouldn't know, sweetheart. No witch does. But the point is, Cinderella and the prince would never would have gotten their happily ever after if Cinderella had not gone to the ball and Cinderella could not have been able to do that without her fairy godmother."

"But I don't want to be the fairy godmother. I want to be Cinderella!" Young Matilda had argued. She thought the same thing again as she saw Sebastian and Kat in the bar. But now her best friend's happiness was at stake and she would do for him what she had done for Mal and Ursula.

I'm not becoming his fairy godmother. I'm just giving them a little nudge. That's all.

Matilda got up and went over to the counter. Kat had been pushed around by the crowd and was now just behind Sebastian, who had succeeded in getting the bartender's attention and was picking up the tray of drinks.

Matilda had to act fast. And she had to make sure that whatever she did, it got them talking to each other at least.

With a blue wisp curled around his ankle, Sebastian lost his balance. He tumbled backward just as something pulled Kat's arms up. The tray with the drinks went up in the air and by some miracle ended up back on the counter with the liquid contents safe in their glasses. Sebastian fell and Kat caught him.

Sebastian was a tall, large man but Kat was no petite pixie. She was tall and well built. Not like the ladies Matilda was used to seeing on Sebastian's arms. Kat was able to hold him up while he blinked in disbelief at what just happened.

"It's you." He said, looking at Kat as she held him in a dip pose.

"Yes," she said through clenched teeth as she struggled with his full weight on her arms, "Can you get up?"

Sebastian held on to Kat for support as he got up.

"I guess it's my turn to call you a pervert." Sebastian said with a tiny smile, not breaking eye contact.

Kat scrunched up her face, "No it isn't. I haven't done anything perverse."

"No. That's right. You caught me. I guess that makes you my knight in shining armor."

Kat narrowed her eyes at him, "Do you flirt with all women you bump into or is it just me?" She said stiffly.

Sebastian cleared his throat, "Sorry." He rubbed the back of his neck, "Thanks for saving me though. You're quite strong for a woman."

Kat blushed, looked away and grumbled something along the lines of "You're welcome."

Sebastian looked around, expecting to find broken glass and spilled drinks but his tray was on the counter. He scratched his head. He thought he had picked up the tray but clearly in the fuss he had not. He looked down to find out what exactly he had slipped on but found nothing.