11 - After Ever After

Her plan worked. The following week Bas came over to her with a wide grin, saying he had spent the most wonderful weekend with the most gorgeous curly haired woman. Granted it was just two dates; dinner on Saturday and a full day picnic on Sunday, but he still felt like he was on cloud nine.

"You were right Till. She's... something." He said dreamily.

Matilda had only planned on making him remember Kat this past Tuesday, but the spell had gone a little awry and she had to take it off. Then she remembered what he had once mentioned about the girl he had mistaken as "the one".

I kept seeing her face everywhere... I burned my toast.

She had only meant to replicate those experiences. But the flame spell got out of hand and the cabinet might have been a misjudgment but then he fell on his own and the knife was clearly Fate's doing.

As a witch, one had to be very careful not to anger Fate. Witches were almost superstitious about it. If there is one power you do not cross, it is Fate. So when she saw the knife fall, and felt the feeling that something else was at work, she stopped.

The movie glitch was something she had set on his account back on Tuesday but apparently he hadn't watched anything on Netflix all week. She thought she had failed again. But when she saw Bas with that stupid grin, she knew she had succeeded.

But something else bothered her. The dream-maker she had seen on his bed. It wasn't uncanny to see a magical object in the possession of one of the others. Sometimes they came across magic without intending to. But she didn't know what to make of it. Dream-makers gave dreams to whoever was using them; but the kind of dreams depended on which witch made it. Possibilities ranged from nightmares to curated adventure dreams. Sebastian hadn't complained of any nightmares so she assumed the thing was harmless.

Still, she decided she would destroy that thing if she got her hands on it again. She would have done it then and there but Sebastian had come out looking tall, muscular and gorgeous in only a towel. It had been so hard to keep her heart in check. All she could think of was putting distance between them without making a fool of herself.

Matilda decided to keep an eye on Bas and Kat, not wanting to leave anything to chance after the difficulties she faced in getting him to ask Kat out. Sebastian went out with Kat twice more before Matilda decided she would stop spying on them. The first time she stalked them was their third date. It was to the movies where she fell asleep, lost track of them but soon found them discussing classics vs new cinema, quite animatedly. She noticed that while both had different opinions, each wanted to hear what the other had to say.

Their fourth date was the following weekend when Sebastian took Kat out to an amusement park, much to Matilda's dismay. Despite being a witch who often rode on brooms, the rides she had to endure because of Sebastian and Kat were terrifying and by the end she was ready to puke.

Kat seemed to enjoy herself. She shared Sebastian's enthusiasm for danger and life threatening rides. They both even got headbands with cat ears on them and walked around like a sickeningly romantic couple. Matilda's nose remained wrinkled in annoyance (and partially form motion sickness) the entire time.

After that, he had taken her out for dinner. Matilda had to remain at an unoccupied seat at the bar where she could view their table perfectly. Of course, she was invisible the entire time, although a dog seemed to have noticed her presence when she had followed the couple after dinner.

They had gone back to Sebastian's place. Matilda didn't follow them then.

That night she had felt strange. Weighed down. And of course she would, she had been so busy with work and then with Sebastian when she wasn't working. She no longer needed to babysit the young couple since things seemed to be going smoothly for them.