18 - Matilda Merryweather and the Chamber of Regrets

The thing about romantic comedies and fairy tales is that they never tell you the real world consequences of pulling a stunt like, say, trapping someone in the closet to keep them from finding your best friend's girlfriend.

Because in the real world, these things are not taken lightly.

"It was locked from the outside Alton." Mal, acting as Matilda's advocate, was saying to the man.

"Well someone locked me up and I demand to know who."

"We can have the security feed checked. See who walked by the closet." Mr. Montfort suggested.

"I still say it was her." Alton gave Matilda a sideways glance.

"There is no way she could have done it." Mal said. Then suddenly hissed in pain. Matilda came forward from her seat.

"Mal you okay?" Matilda rubbed a soothing hand over her belly, the blue glow unseen by everyone except her.

"Yeah. I'm fine." Mal said, pushing her hand away coldly. Matilda could tell she was mad but she was glad that Mal had been here to talk Alton out of pressing charges against what had happened.

They were in the Alderon study; a beautiful room with walls lined with overflowing book shelves and a mahogany desk to one side. Behind the desk, the wall was lined with maps that had sticky notes stuck on specific places. A door to one side opened onto the balcony.

Matilda was seated in one corner like a class dunce while Mal, Ursula, Eric and his father congregated around her, wondering how to resolve the situation.

Alton took pity on Mal's state. "Malvina I can see you are unwell. Perhaps you should leave."

"No. I'm staying." She said. Matilda felt grateful.

"Alton. It really is not a big deal. There was no harm done here." Ursula said quietly. Alton looked at her like she was a bug, but then he looked at Mal again and relented.

"Mr. Montfort I really do think you should give your son a talking to about the kind of people he associates himself with." Alton said to the man. Mr. Montfort was a very tall and dignified person, and even though he was much taller than Alton, he still seemed like a subordinate with the way Alton carried himself.

"I will very much consider what you have said, Alton." Mr. Montfort said.

Without sparing her a glance, Alton left the room. Most likely to find Sebastian who was with Kat and her parents.

"I have never in my life felt so embarrassed." Mr. Montfort turned to Eric, red in the face. "I expected you to have better sense than to bring this sort of nonsense home."

Eric looked down at his shoes, hands in front of him like an obedient child. "I apologize father."

"Apologize to your mother. Do you know how much she has slaved, preparing for tonight?" Mrs. Montfort had worked very hard in ordering her servants as to what meals to prepare and how to make room for everyone in the dining room. Matilda could only imagine the dedication and talent required to do all that.

"Yes, father. I will apologize to her too." Eric said respectfully.

"Make sure to deal with..." Mr. Montfort glanced at Matilda, "this. Permanently." Then he left too, taking with him the air of formality that had been making it hard for the young ones to breathe.

"Eric I am—" Matilda began.

"I told you not to cause a scene." Eric said to her, flaming through his nostrils, "I told you Till. You and Bas always do shit like this and the rest of us have to suffer the consequences."