Escape

Will's P. O. V.

After the natives carried me away, they brought me to a gorge with two ropes stretched between the two cliffs. Each rope held a circular cage holding the crew, and after untying me, they forced me into one.

"Will."

The cage I was in had Gibbs, Marty, Cotton, and a couple others. When I asked, Gibbs explained everything to me.

"Why would Jack do this? If he's the chief-"

"Aye, the Pelegostos made Jack their chief," Gibbs continued. "But he only remains chief as long as he acts like a chief."

"So he had no choice," I summarized. "He's a captive just like the rest of us."

"As it turns out, it's worse for Jack. The Pelegostos believe that Jack is a god in human form, and they intend to do him the honor of releasing him from his fleshy prison."

I became confused on what he meant. Before I could I ask, Cotton grabbed Gibbs' right hand, and bit his fingers. He snatched it back, grunting in pain.

"They'll roast him and eat him."

"And Arabella? We both came looking for Jack, and they let her go."

Gibbs sighed.

"They may do the same to her."

I hung my head. Looking around the gorge, I noticed that the rest of the crew weren't here.

"Where's the rest of the crew?"

"These cages we're in," Gibbs looked at the frame before turning to me. "Weren't built till after we got here."

I snatched my hand away, my stomach churning a little.

"The feast is about to begin. Jack's life, and maybe Miss Arabella's life, will end when the drums stop."

I looked around again and at the chasm walls.

"We can't just sit here and wait, then, can we?"

Arabella's P. O. V.

The cannibals were stacking wood to make a fire. I waited anxiously for the moment to escape. They were pounding on the drums, and some of them were dancing. A few minutes later, two women came up to Jack, and placed a necklace of human toes around his neck. Then they placed a small necklace of human fingers around mine.

"Thank you," Jack said, as the two walked away.

Several minutes later, the cannibals were finishing the fire pit.

"No, no," Jack stood from his seat and stepped forward, yelling to be heard. "Oi! No, no. More wood. Big fire."

He began waving his hands.

"Big fire. I am Chief. Want big fire."

When they didn't hear him, Jack turned to the two standing behind the throne. Pointing to the fire pit, he ordered them in their native tongue.

"Tout de suite. More wood."

As the two left to carry out the order, Jack turned to me.

"Time to go."

Ditching the headdresses, we ran as fast as we could. After crossing a bridge, I turned to Jack.

"How am I going to find the crew?"

Jack quickly handed me his compass.

"You want to find them, this will help."

"How?"