Chapter 13 "Broken Gem"

Once again, I had reminded myself about my original plans before coming to the city, about the path I chose to travel. But it’s been a while already when reality had fallen on my way and hit me hard through my senses. Before, I believed that once I put my mind to something like focusing only on my studies, using my knowledge in all I do and managing my time wisely, that no one is able to stop me from pursuing my destiny. But I was badly mistaken for this one thing came to me unexpectedly and I wanted to hate it because it’s taking so much of me; this thing called love.

Saturday morning and I went out very early wearing my h&m black hoodie jacket and a black jogging pants, jumping on my plain white Adidas shoes, I decided to watch the sunrise on the park beside the lake with multiple fountains around the area. But first, I went to my usual café to take out my favorite coffee that they serve, a coffee-jelly-Frappuccino; this is not a very common one, it is only served on selected stores in the Philippines, I loved it because it reminds me of Japan, because this flavor originally came from Starbucks Japan. After I got my coffee, I walk along the street with the coffee on my right hand elbow level, morning people are all over the street jogging, some with partners, some bicycling, old people walking with their dogs and I also saw someone talking some business thing while shouting and getting everyone's attention. And on the park there are people doing yoga, meditation, on the far corner is a group dancing Zumba, most benches that were made of metals are occupied with couples sipping their coffee, some are alone like me and others' with newspapers on their hands.

As I was sitting on a big granite stone beside the lake, staring in bewilderment at the water lilies wonderfully floating on the astonishing films of the water when this little boy caught my attention. The little kid was playing a big balloon; he was holding the balloon with so much amazement. But the little boy accidentally let go of the balloons’ tiny rope, the boy cried and cried and he never stops crying. He followed the balloon with his very sad eyes; from this big balloon within his reach, it became a small dot until it went inside the clouds and disappeared from his widely open eyes. I wanted to go to the child to comfort him and say something to him but I didn’t get a chance when his parents came rushing to him, promising him to buy another bigger balloon. What a sad scene, I thought.

I was enjoying myself enormously, walking like this at least once a week if I had a chance I was into reader’s digest lately and enjoyed reading a lot about health issues, I was trying to live a healthy lifestyle. I was then walking away from the bench that I was seated when I saw a girl waving her hand energetically from the other side of the lake. It was Vans with a guy; they were now approaching me, they’re wearing a couple workout shirt and shorts, the guy with him was Ronnie; he has a body of an athlete, muscle everywhere, he has an emperor jaw in short he is handsome. Looking at them; they’re perfect together, with Vans undeniable beauty, she attracts men around when the circle is in the mall or even in the canteen and food courts. I gave them an almost quizzical smile and said,
“Hi, you’re also here, how long have you been here?” I asked.
“Hi” she said elbow rose waving her fingers delicately, “we were down 'kalye commercio' earlier and we just dropped here to rest, we’ve been here almost an hour already. How about you?” she asked, I raised my brows tight lips pressed together as my reaction then said,
“Is that so? It’s a routine; I walk around at least once a week.”
“I see, you have to make it more often. You know it’s a good therapy.”
“Yeah right, so where are you going now?”
“Were having breakfast, would you like to come?” she offered but I saw Ronnie’s reaction gazing at her smirking.
“No! It’s ok. Enjoy your time. I was about to return home now. It was nice seeing you here.” I said smiling widely.
“Yeah, ok then, nice seeing you too. See yah at school.” She said.
“See yah.”

On my way home, I felt my skin beginning to get gluey and my underarm is already wet, so I took of my jacket revealing my wet loose north-face sleeveless. I tangled my jacket on my waist and continued walking home. Dogs on every house along the Taft Street were barking inside their gates. Store owners are now opening their roll up doors; some are wiping their glass windows preparing yet again for another busy day for them. Finally I was home, feeling gratefully exhausted. I opened the main gate with my own keys then left it unlocked for I know that anytime soon, boarders will begin exiting the apartment in a rush like freed animals on their cage.