Chapter 29 "The most awaited day."

2019

Several expositions incorporating interior design and furniture design took place such as WorldBex, PIFS, ManilaFame, DesignManila and other more. Wherein our brand participated and it became a huge success attracting more investors which lead us to begin exporting our products across Asia and using more modern materials from Europe. Our company eventually opened our own factory at Laguna to accommodate the mass production of our designs and put up our own upholstery, metal works, and wood works shop hiring more artisans. That’s why when the PhilConstruct exhibition came around the month of October; I made a huge step for the company. I proposed a big collaboration with Skrivo to combine our designs for our third quarter collection to be showcased on the PhilConstruct at the SMX Convention Center. Skrivo agreed to our proposal taking advantage to finally put up their branch in the Philippines, expanding further across Asia. We work for couple of months for the preparations of our furniture collection from brainstorming to planning until completion. Which made me and my very good team flew to Milan every two weeks in order to make precision in the details.

Sitting alone on the lounge chair in my favorite Starbucks coffee shop at the ground floor of Shangri-la Plaza was one of my favorite things to do. Slowly sipping my oprah cinnamon chai while looking at the people and cars passing along the store of Gucci, YSL, Rolex, Cartier and Bottega Venetta. There are several private cafes situated on the top floor but I prefer to mix myself among the crowds. Studying the facial expressions and get up of every person who is passing by. I am seeing myself in the people wearing their company uniforms when I was still working before I took my boards. I was also used to walking with my friends, sometimes happy and sometimes frustrated along the same covered walk. Sometimes when we're dressed nicely, we’re wandering inside Rustan’s department store dreaming on having the luxury items inside the framed glasses. While gazing at the random peoples marching, I am being inspired to sketch and scribble some new ideas on my sketch pad.

The surroundings suddenly dimmed and the clear sky turned gray and started to throw pebble of rains pelting through the great choice of cobblestones on the lawn. People stopped walking, blocking my view from the inside, they were glued on their feet’s, watching the slashing rain together. Waiting anxiously for the taxi’s that they grabbed using an app while the normal ones are curiously watching them. Some private luxury cars are stopping in front of everyone while the Rustan’s revolving doors is letting out the elite people holding multiple luxury shopping bags exiting the mall with their personal assistants holding up their umbrellas, opening the car for them. It made me think that I could also do that now but I understand the feelings of the persons who couldn’t afford it. But the world works that way, it’s like a Ferris wheel, others are on top and others at the bottom, but it doesn’t mean that when you’re on the ground, you couldn’t be on top anymore. It’s a continuous cycle and it is Mr. Destiny’s decision to make, what you needed to do was to continue fighting if you want to maintain yourself on top.

After so long, the rain left me feeling uneasy again and I could feel that something is about to happen, but what could it be? Apart from the loneliness that I was feeling, what’s there to add to my pain and sufferings? The exposition was about to take place in the next day, does it mean that something unfortunate is going to happen? When I arrived home, I hanged my leather jacket and my white cap on the stand rack in the foyer. I dialed my secretary asking if the exhibit is now ready, if there is any problem about the arrangement and back-drop. And she confirmed me that they already wrapped up everything and assured me that there was no problem. Before I slept, I went to my library and made a conference call with the design team in Milano. They told me that they will be boarding the plane in three hours which makes them land in NAIA before their lunch in Manila Hotel the next day with my team and will bustle to SMX convention center to meet me.

I drove along EDSA during the rush hour that’s why I got stuck in the middle of traffic at Buendia to Magallanes. I arrived at the hall in my other set of Christian Dior pair of silky ocean blue loose blazer and pants. A blue monogrammed in abstract DIOR silk inner with its right part tucked on my pants with a hanging tie knotted casually on my collar. I completed my look with my silver and white Dior flat rubber shoes and my long hair curled in big waves. The entire hall was illuminated with different booth. As I was walking on the hallway, I can’t help myself but to feel emotional as always, every time I see the parades of best brands in the magazines and seeing my brand standing along with them. For this certain trade fair, our company is one of the brands in the frontline because of our collaboration with Skrivo. And everyone is excited to witness the surprise that my brand will be launching. We made sure that our booth is exceptional; we intricately interior designed a mock-up of a house with an office showing our design style which is (contemporary art deco). And then we positioned and arranged our furniture and lighting fixtures inside the house syncronizely with some of my paintings on the walls.

While patiently waiting for the design team from Milano who’re already having their lunch. My secretary excitedly came to me, telling me that this huge lighting company is interested in working with my brand and the CEO personally came to visit our booth and intended to talk to me. I was frowning at my secretary, and was about to tell her that she needs to tell the CEO to set a private meeting because I’m very busy. But she gestured her hand to the old man in brown formal suit wearing a hat approaching me with his secretary one foot behind him, which made me raised my left brow in disbelief. The old man was grinning at me withdrawing his right hand sand saying,
“It's good to finally meet you Mr. Lheam, the figure behind this huge brand.” He said with an accent as if memorized. I nodded and then extended my hand,
“Thank you Sir…” my voice was trailing for I don’t know his name.
“I’m Johny Jacobs, the CEO of Jacob’s Lighting.” He said confidently.
“Oww, the famous Jacob’s Lighting.” I nodded smiling, “I’m honored to meet you Mr. Jacobs.” I said uncomfortably. And gestured him to seat on the office set arrangement.
“I was looking for the best furniture brands for some time now, to make partnership with. And I believe that your company is a perfect one as I was reviewing your website. And it says at your page that you are open to collaborations and partnerships.” He said and I flinched a little because of his frankness and what he is offering.
“Ahh ammm…” I said, unsure what to say,
“My company planned to put and insert lightings and even sounds and electronics on furniture and I believed that your brand is fitted for it.” He said trying to get my positive response. After analyzing the situation rushly,
“Thank you sir for your amazing and huge proposal, but I want to talk about it to the board first.”
“That’s fine… that’s fine Mr. Lheam, you can talk to one of the trusted manager in my company…” He glanced at his silent secretary and asked him, “Where is he now?” his secretary responded immediately,
“I just called him Sir, he just checked our booth on the other side, he’s coming.” He said alertly.
“Good!” He said, and I couldn’t understand what was going on, they were so sure in convincing me. Until Mr. Jacobs abruptly talked again glancing to his left,
“Owww, he’re he is! Finally.” Motioning his hand to the guy who is approaching us.

There was a sudden thumping on my chest causing it to beat rapidly, I was stiffened and stunned, my knees were shaking feeling weak, I had goosebumps on my exposed skin that’s why I run my left hand to my neck. I wanted to run and escape but I couldn’t for some reason, my heart was telling me to stay and face the destiny, and so I abided. My eyes were glued at him but he seemed relax on his gray open blazer and pants and white tucked-in sweatshirt as his inner with a capital letters GUESS stitched on it, with his black matte leather shoes. Nothing really changed with his face except his hot barber haircut connected to his squared shaved beard following his jawline to his chin. He was approaching us without any facial reaction that’s why I didn’t know how to react as well, if I should smile openly or what. He was now in front of me, just an arm’s length and we could finally touch each other if we wanted too. He was said something to Mr. Jacobs and then Mr. Jacobs said,
“Ceasare, he is Mr. Lheam Lamarca, the CEO of W company, and Mr. Lheam he is…..” I didn’t wait for him to finish talking,
“Cizarrr…” My voice was a long hushed.
“Sorry..?” Mr. Jacobs asked, they definitely heard what I said, and both our secretary was now frowning, but my secretary definitely knew what’s going on, because the guy in front of me was the subject on all of my paintings, which made her look at me questionably.
“Oww, sorry about that, what is it again Sir?” I asked and Cizar frowned at me, maybe for pretending that I didn’t know him.
“His name is Ceasare Borgia. One of our company’s best Electrical Engineer, and had his MA at UP Diliman” he smiled quizzically, I raised my left brow.
“Nice to meet you Mr. Borgia.” I said withdrawing my right hand and suppressing my smile. It took him some seconds before responding.
“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Lheam….. I mean, Mr. Lamarca…” he said forcing his smile. And then he grabbed my hand, we both flinched and released our grasp because we definitely felt the strong current of electricity ran through our body, “I’m honored to be assigned in working with you, to be working with a famous…. Designer like you.” Stressing the word “famous” as if he’s bitter for something. I smirked at him and said,
“It’s not yet settled, Mr. Borgia, I have to talk to my people first.” I gave him a plain smile, and sure that I hurt him right there.
“Aww sorry about that.” He looked at his boss and Mr. Jacobs just nodded.
“It’s okay, no problem.” I said and that created awkwardness to all of us, until someone was coming our way, calling Cizar’s name.

“Ceasare… You’re already here, I’m sorry I was late!” She said inserting her hand on Cizar’s elbow, holding onto him sweetly, and something pricked my heart, Cizar just nodded at her seriously, and I almost put my hands on my mouth, until Mr. Jacobs talked to her,
“The meeting is already finished Sunny! Why are you always late…?” he gasped at her, realizing we’re all looking at them, “Oh, sorry about that, Mr. Lheam, She is my daughter.” Glaring at the behave Sunny, “She is Cizar’s…..” he was still talking when Cizar said,
“My fiancé. She is Sunny Jacobs, My fiancé…” Looking at me straight in the eyes, with intensity that crumbled my face. I could see the satisfaction in him, probably because he thinks that he hurt me, and yes, he had. Sunny just giggled on his arms. I just nodded, and then Mr. Jacobs excused himself.
“Okay that’s it, thank you for entertaining us Mr. Lheam; I hope your company will work with ours. Ceasare, Sunny! You might want to look inside this amazing exhibition before leaving, they might be our future partner.” He’s just so sure in getting us, I just thanked him and then he left. Cizar was about to follow him but Sunny said,
“Honey… Let’s stay for a while, this booth is the best, it’s world class!” I smiled at her and Cizar just irritably agreed to Sunny’s request. My heart was hurting while looking at them holding hands touring our booth, and I know that Cizar was also looking at me from time to time, that’s why he’s intentionally putting his hand on Sunny’s perfect waist to show me and hurt me more.

My secretary gave me a bottle of water as soon as I sat on the corner lounge, asking me if I was just ok, obviously analyzing what’s really going on. Cizar was checking his face on the paintings every time he has a chance while her naïve fiancé was just very happy holding his hand and not really observing everything inside the booth that’s why she didn’t noticed the paintings. And I doubt if she knew that I was the CEO of the company, because her attention was all into Cizar. I told my secretary that I was just fine but I knew that she wasn’t convince, she asked if I want to get some fresh air and I nodded at her concern idea.

I stood from my chair and walked towards the exit, while Cizar was looking at me puzzled because I gave him a frantic stare. He was about to follow me when we both stopped, because some foreigners whom I could definitely recognize came in together stunningly. The design team from Milano had arrived and they were all seven in the group, four girls and three guys. I was deeply delighted because this this guy came running to me like an adorable kid coming to his Dad. Stefano came! And I didn’t know why and how, he approached me with a very big smile at his face, he grabbed me tightly, rubbing my hair and my back , my eyes were on Cizar and he was also looking at us. I was stunned when Stefano abruptly kissed me on my cheeks just like how Italian does, but his gesture was definitely weird in the Philippines. Cizar saw what just Stefano did and his face turned sour, prepared to attack Stefano but the clueless Sunny grabbed him more tightly motioning him to the other side, but he couldn’t keep his eyes on us. “This is my revenge, now it’s a tie” I thought. I put my hands on Stefano waist and then tapped his back, releasing my gaze at Cizar and left him looking at us. Everyone was now looking at us with their malicious eyes and nodding curiously. After welcoming their team warmly shaking their hands, I talked to Stefano,
“How come you’re here? I didn’t know you work at Skrivo!”
“I just got hired last month, yes finally! And I pleaded the office to let me come with the team to the Philippines after finding out about this great collaboration.”
“Oww, is that so?” I said, and then the other girl talked,
“Now we get it, that’s why Stefano was so excited in coming with us! Because of you Sir, How did you know each other? She asked shyly.
“We stayed together for six years!” Stefano said without thinking how he sounds, now everyone was shocked, glancing at us.
“What he meant is that, he was my roommate for six years during my stay at Milano.” I corrected him and we all laughed.

“Wow… Lheam…! You’re exhibit was amazing!” he said freely which made everyone looked at him while he kept addressing me casually, because everyone from the company and outside calls me Mr. Lheam or Sir Lheam. I just smiled at him, patting his shoulder while I’m touring them inside. “And look at that, those were the painting you’re always doing when we’re still staying together and you wouldn’t tell me who he was…..”he was saying but he suddenly stuttered when Sunny talked to me,
“Mr. Lheam, we’re leaving now.” I nodded while Cizar eyes were still glued at me, and Stefano was now crazily glancing at Cizar’s face and the painting beside him. When Cizar noticed his shocked face, he immediately gesture Sunny to exit the booth before Stefano could say something. When they finally left, Stefano whispered to me in excitement,
“Oh my ghaddd! Lheam? Who was that guy?” he was staring at me in the eyes, “He was the one on the painting! Isn’t he? He tightened his grasp on my arm.
“Shut up Stefano, he is not!” I said firmly but he is not convinced just like my secretary.

What Belongs to Me [COMPLETE] जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें