The Insufferable Draco Malfoy (Draco Malfoy x Reader)

description: the rivalry between you and Draco Malfoy was a constant in both your lives. so why was to starting to change? (enemies to lovers!)

word count: 3.9k

The hardest part of being a student at Hogwarts was not the classes, not the misadventures that surrounded your friends, not even Snape. The hardest part was having to be in the same building as one Mr. Draco Malfoy. From the instance you heard him teasing other first years on the Hogwarts Express, you loathed the boy. Now a fifth year, your hatred had grown, something which you and Hermione did not find possible. It started as a typical Gryffindor v. Slytherin rivalry between the two of you but being friends with Harry Potter, excelling in classes, and being a star Quidditch player made the feud very personal. Everyone of your peers reminded you that you were better than Draco, and yet, the boy made you feel like you always had to prove yourself to him. This jealously and "showing off" started in one of your first potions lessons your first year. Draco, already the apple of Snape's eye, had seemingly made a perfect Wiggenwald potion until Professor Snape examined yours. He, hesitantly, congratulated you on a perfect potion and a job well done. The smug look on Draco's face was now one of shock and anger and you just had to smile at him. Since that day it seemed as if the two of you were constantly one upping each other with no end goal in sight. It was always snide comments, looks back in forth. Nothing was ever too direct or nasty but it was evident you two did not get along. This competitiveness was rare to you and you only truly felt it towards Draco. You wanted to stick it in his self-righteous face that he was not the greatest of all time. And it seemed to you, that Draco was doing the exact same thing to you. Hermione, your best friend, would try so hard to calm you down and teach you to just ignore him. While Harry and Ron were constantly encouraging you as they wanted Draco to so badly be beaten. Harry and Ron would go so far as to help you with homework and quidditch training just to make Malfoy made. It was tiring sometimes but getting his attention and a reaction was worth it.

Your first quidditch practice of the year went off without a hitch. You were a Chaser and a damn good one at that. Being a muggle born, it surprised everyone how quickly you picked up the game and a broom. Harry and you were very similar to each other in that regard. It was you, Katie, and Harry all together walking back to the common room when you ran into Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle. You wanted to just ignore them but of course, Draco just had to say something. "Hey guys practicing to lose the cup this year? Especially you Y/N? Actually never mind, I don't think you'd have to practice to lose. It just comes naturally doesn't it?" He had your blood boiling. "Draco just shut up. We both know that I could play Seeker but you couldn't play Chaser. I think that says just enough about who the better player is, doesn't it?" You gave him a sweet smile which infuriated him beyond belief. But before he could say anything Katie grabbed your arm and forced you away. She knew that you and Draco would be there forever taunting each other. You gave her an annoyed look and her only response was a shrug and an "I'm tired and I didn't want to spend the rest of my night in the hallway." You and Harry then spent the rest of the walk ranting about how badly you needed to beat Slytherin. Draco just watched the three of you walk away, angry at the fact you got the last word and that what you said was true. You were the better player but he was never going to admit that. It bothered him to no end all your success and he couldn't figure out for the life of him why. Never had he had someone so equally matched with him at everything. It was tiring to say the least.

The common room was quiet on nights like these; most people already neck deep in homework or worried about upcoming exams. Seated in the corner was Hermione who gladly welcomed you over. "How was practice?" You smiled, "it was great actually! Katie and I completed all of our passes and I didn't even fall off my broom. I consider that a new record! Only bad part was we ran into Draco after practice and of course he had something to say." Exhaling, you leaned back into the chair and Hermione picked up on your annoyed demeanor. "Seriously Y/N you both need to stop the constant bickering. It's distracting and frankly it's quite old at this point." You sat up quickly, ready to defend yourself when Hermione interrupted. "No listen to me. I know he is a pompous prat but you gotta step letting him get to you like this. What about Draco is so bothersome? He is a git and a terrible person but why can't you ignore him like the rest of us? Seriously it is like you're obsessed with him." She paused and took a breath. "The tension between you two is unbearable." Silence entered the corner again as you stared back her, mouth wide open. What was Hermione even thinking? Of course you fought back, deep down you knew it had something to do with your pride. But the tension part, that what was stuck in your head. You knew what she was getting at but there was no way this was anything other than a rivalry. Thoughts were racing through your head and all you wanted to do was get them out. Changing the subject seemed to do the trick and the rest of the night was focused on Charms homework.