Charming the Herbology Professor (Neville Longbottom x Reader)

description: you are the newest Charms professor at Hogwarts with your old crush as your colleague. is it possible love gets a second chance?

word count: 2.9K

"I hope this letter reaches you in safety and good health. As of this year, Professor Flitwick has stepped down as Charms professor leaving Hogwarts with a vacancy. Now it leaves myself with the task of replacing our Flitwick. Your years both in within Hogwarts and out have been nothing short of impressive. Your skills in Charms never evaded him or myself. I am writing to offer you an interview for the position of Charms professor (which believe me dear is just a formality). Please let me know your thoughts. Best, Headmaster McGonagall"

Hogwarts hadn't changed too much since the last time you saw it. The only differences you could find were the newer pillars and rooms that were destroyed in the Battle of Hogwarts. Their fresh marble contrasting with the original pillars gave an eerie reminder of death and destruction. It had been five years since that fateful day and you found yourself longing to return to this wondrous castle. Now here you are, responding to that fateful letter Professor McGonagall had sent you over the summer. It seemed out of the blue for her to think of you but you were one of the brightest in Charms so that is what you used to justify the notes. Climbing the stairs, the familiar chorus of portrait voices filled your ear. When you finally reached the Headmaster's office, you had barely knocked before it was swung open. McGonagall was there behind it complete with her signature grin. "Thank you so much for coming, please come in!" She lead you into the room and you couldn't help but stare at the headmaster's portraits. It had been so many years since you had seen them and yet they remained unchanged. Except for a certain Albus Dumbledore hanging who gave you a soft smile when you made eye contact. "Ms. Y/N, what a pleasant surprise. Minerva told me of her plans, I do hope we will be seeing each other many more times over the year." Blush rose on your cheeks, the small praise from someone you so heavily admired had left you flustered. McGonagall took her place in her chair and gestured you to sit as well. The "interview" if you could even call it that began. It was mainly McGonagall asking how you were doing and you asking her how Hogwarts was recovering. At the end of your talk, McGonagall smiled. "You had an innate gift for Charms, which is why I asked you here. But you also have an incredible ability for leading and inspiring. I hope you accept my offer of Charms Professor." You couldn't have said yes enough, being in Hogwarts just for a couple moments had made you never want to leave again. McGonagall smiled, thanked you, and told you if you wanted to visit your classroom you could. As you left the office she told you "I am so excited to be working with you this year." You smiled back and made your way down the stairs.

And there he was. Slimmer, that was for sure, but with the same lovable baby face complete with a sharp jawline. He carried himself with confidence now, like he finally understood his worth. You knew Neville was a teacher here but you definitely didn't expect to see him so soon. "Y/N? Is that really you? What are you doing here?" His voice was filled with excitement and he looked overjoyed to see you. "I actually just accepted the position of Charms professor. So I believe that makes us colleagues now." You smiled and Neville returned an even larger one. "No way! You have no idea how excited I am to see you. I have to go check on the greenhouses but please, let us catch up sometime." You nodded your head and he went on his way. Neville Longbottom. Confident and even hotter. You weren't aware it was possible and yet here he was. Your heart raced with excitement and nerves, the small schoolgirl crush you had on him started to reveal itself once more. How could it not? You made your way to your classroom as thoughts of Neville continued to fill your brain.

It was odd, being in Flitwick's old room. Memories of lighting up the room in your first year, accidentally sending red sparks towards Ron, seeing small flames come from your wand, objects flying around the room as all the students attempt to call them towards them. Tears threatened to burst forward as these memories were almost too painful. Hogwarts, especially this charms classroom, had been your refuge and home but now, all memories were tainted with death and destruction. Stifling a sob, you straighten up and began to organize the room. It was time to reclaim Hogwarts from the trauma of the war.