Together Forever (Harry Potter & Reader)

description: Your whole life you had been a Malfoy, known for being the younger sister of Draco. But after Dumbledore's death, you learn startling news that makes you question everything you thought you knew (this was requested byJulzLovDraco4Eva!)

word count: 2.8k

Being a Malfoy wasn't the easiest thing in the world. Especially being the younger sister of one Draco Malfoy. Your parents favorite was Draco, easily. They treated him as a king; he got everything he had asked for and more. As for you, you were being cared for and that was that. Draco never treated you poorly but rather just someone to do things for him. You didn't mind, who wouldn't want to help their older brother? But it would sometimes get to the point where you felt more like a house elf to him than a sibling. But this was all you knew, this was probably normal sibling behavior. For years, you had questioned your "role" in your family. The bright blonde hair of the Malfoy's had skipped you as well as their signature grey eyes. And there was even a personality difference. Where they were more "proper", you were more spunky and carefree. When you were around seven, you questioned your mother about these differences. However, she simply assured you that you were unique and sometimes people looked different than their family. Being young, you simply believed her answer and her words stayed with you. But every now and then, at the dinner table or on family outings, you felt like an outsider. An imposter almost. But you would try and remember your mother's words and shake the thoughts out of your head. 

Draco's first year at Hogwarts was easily one of the hardest of your life. Your parents were withdrawn from your life and without your big brother, you felt so alone. Most of your days were spent alone in your room reading. Books all about Hogwarts, the classes, the professors, the history, everything. You dreamed of Hogwarts and escaping everyday and these books helped to fuel your fantasies. You found yourself drawn to the children's books within the house. They were old and hardly used- the only times they were read from were when Draco was a child. Reading to you as a child never seemed to be a necessity. So now, in your isolation, did you read to yourself. The books were comforting and filled you with love and acceptance that was unknown to you at the time. 

When it finally came time for you to attend Hogwarts, you will never forget how the your family treated you at King's Cross station. Your mother, as always, made an effort to be kind while your father merely stared on. "Hurry up mother, she is alright. Cmon Y/N it is time to go." Draco pulled your arm and dragged you onto the train. The train was bursting with energy with bodies moving every which way. Draco had murmured something about going to find Crabbe and Goyle, leaving you completely alone. Nervously, and trying not to cry, you looked around for a seat until you found a carriage with a little girl around your age with large curly brown hair. She smiled at you, "hi there! My name is Hermione Granger! You can come sit with me if you'd like." You moved into the carriage, "thank you so much, I'd like that very much. My name is Y/N Malfoy, I'm a first year." Hermione, at the mention of your last name, froze. You were confused until she spoke again, "Malfoy, are you related to Draco by any chance?" Hermione seemed nervous being seated with you which only made your nerves worse. "Yes, he is my older brother." Hermione cringed, shook her head, and then suddenly changed her demeanor. She changed the subject which you greatly appreciated. The two of you ended up having lots of things in common and it was soon forgotten you were related to Draco. The train ride was so much better than you had expected  as you had made your first friend. But thoughts of the sorting began to fill your head. It had been engrained in you since you were little that you would be in Slytherin. All Malfoy's were. And yet, you felt an inkling of desire to be in Gryffindor so you could be with Hermione. About halfway through the ride, Draco found his carriage. "Y/N why are you sitting with this mud blood? Are you really trying to associate yourself with something so low right away?" Anger fumed through your veins. First he abandoned you and now he has the audacity to insult your friend. Rising to you feet you met Draco's judgmental gaze, "Draco, it shouldn't matter to you who I hang out with. But I have a feeling I am associating with someone who is way higher than you. Now please leave." Draco huffed at your words and left the carriage leaving you still standing and a shocked Hermione. You sat down and felt the overwhelmingly need to apologize. "I am so sorry about him Hermione. I don't know why he's like that, I won't let him talk to you like that. I hope you can forgive me." Hermione, unbeknownst to you, was used to this treatment from Draco so she wasn't too bothered. But your defiance against your own brother, in defense of her, made her extremely stunned and happy. The rest of the carriage ride was filled with a different energy, now all tension and awkwardness was gone and you two were acting like old friends. Eventually you made it to Hogwarts and into the Great Hall.  In the line for the sorting hat, you were anxiously waiting and silently hoping for a different outcome. "Next, Y/N Malfoy." Hearing your name, you went up to the front and the hat was placed on your head. A small voice appeared in your ear "hmm you are an interesting one aren't you? So different all your life, I wonder why. I see many things in you but bravery, my dear girl, bravery is what you carry in your heart. I think I know exactly where to place you." Before you could process what the hat had said, a booming voice shouted "GRYFFINDOR". There was an initial silence as shock passed through, but Hermione began to loudly cheer for you and the rest of Gryffindor joined in. You noticed your brother out of the corner of your eye, carrying a disgusted look on his face. You couldn't meet his eye and simply walked towards Hermione and sat down. You were greeted cheerfully by the children next to you, who you would later learn to be Harry Potter and Ron Weasley. It was shocking to receive such a warm welcome but unbeknownst to you, Hermione had already told them the events of the train ride and how you really were different from Draco. The rest of the night was spent eating and laughing at the tale of Harry and Ron and the flying car.