Across the Way (Fred Weasley x Reader)

description: a simple summer suddenly turns into a whirlwind romance when you meet the one and only Fred Weasley 

word count: 1.5k words 

Beep Beep Beep

Would you like some stamps?

Your total is 47.68

Have a nice day

It was the repetitive and predictable nature of the job that bothered you most of all. Oh and getting hit on at 8am, that was always fun. You were excited to work here at first; a quick and easy summer job at a grocery store couldn't be too bad, right? That was completely wrong- it could be that bad. You had been working at Murphy's for two months now and had gotten pretty used to the customers. Most were elderly and lived relatively close to you in the small town so even that aspect was mundane and predictable. The day had started like any other; mindlessly checking out customers when suddenly two ginger men who you have never seen before walked in. One was around your age and was extremely handsome. It had been so long since you saw someone so attractive anywhere near this store and it made you freeze. There was a younger girl with him, around 13 you thought, who realized you were staring at him. She gently hit his arm and signaled him towards you. He met your eye which immediately made your face flush. Embarrassed, you quickly turned back to your register trying to forget his bright brown eyes. 

Before you knew it, the boy and the young girl were in your line. Heart racing, your shaking hands started to scan their items. Some milk, several apples,  "What are you doing tonight?" This was not the first time a teenage boy has you this question while you were at your register, but for the first time you weren't annoyed or creeped out- you were intrigued. "Depends, why do you ask?" His smile grew "well I happen to know the best place to stargaze in all of England and I was wondering if you'd like to join me?" Your face flushed as the request was so pure and he seemed so nervous to ask. "How do I know you're not going to kill me or something?" "Well I uh I guess you'll just have to trust me." He smiled and for some reason, you smiled back "I get off at 7, meet me here then? Then we can go?" He beamed and told you he'd see you at 7. As they grabbed their bags of groceries and made their way through the exit, you realized you didn't even know his name. Nerves begin to enter your body as you tried to figure out what had just happen. What was it about this boy that was so special? Why did he immediately want to hang out with you? Would he actually come back? Was this a date? The last two hours of your shift passed by and you couldn't remember what even happen. All you knew is that it was suddenly 7, you were finally off, and supposed to meet up with mystery boy. At 7:02 you made your way into the parking lot and there he was clad in dark jeans, a green crewneck sweater, long messy red hair, and a bright smile. Your heart melted as he so excitedly waved at you. "You have no idea how nervous I was that you would say no or you lied about what time you got off." You smiled and laughed "hey I was nervous too- I thought you weren't going to come." He smiled "of course I Y/N, I mean I was the one asking you." You were shocked when you heard your name, and frankly a little creeped out. "How do you know my name?" He simply laughed and pointed at your name tag. You let out a breath and giggled, you completely forgot about your name tag. It was the perfect opportunity to ask him his name. He smiled, "Fred. Fred Weasley." Fred. It was uncommon but perfectly fit the spunky boy in front of you. You both started walking down to his stargazing spot and the conversation between the two of you flowed perfectly. You told him you were working at the grocery store to save up for a university fund, how you wanted to be a psychologist, and all about your parents and little sister. He told you about all his siblings and the girl he was with was his only sister, his connection with his twin, his love of pranks and jokes, and his dreams of opening a joke shop. Before you knew it, you both were under the stars on the grass, admiring the beauty of space. He was right, he did know the best stargazing spot. As you talked the night away, you never felt such a connection and comfort with someone. Fred was shocked to find he was feeling the same way. Suddenly a shooting star went across the sky. Fred whispered in your ear "make a wish Y/N." Nodding, you sent a silent wish that you could be able to see him again. Fred's wish was a direct match to yours. 

Throughout the summer you would met each other several more times. From a picnic, to a walk through the park, to even more stargazing sessions, every moment was spent enjoying each others presence. Fred was unlike anybody you had ever met before and you never wanted the summer to end. It was late August and you were once again stargazing with him. There was tension in the air and you could feel something was wrong. Fred seemed to be hiding something and you could tell he was looking for something to say. Fred, in fact was hiding something. How was he supposed to tell her he was going to Hogwarts in two weeks? As he looked into her eyes, large and full of longing and innocence, Fred felt his heart sink into his stomach. Here in front of him was a girl who didn't see him as one half of "Fred and George", who didn't expect a prank, who wasn't comparing him to his six other siblings, who didn't expect greatness and success. She saw him as Fred: the goofy redhead who knew the best places to stargaze, who told the best jokes, who knew how to make people feel like they belong. And yet, she would never truly know him. Fred choked back a sob; it was too much. He so badly wanted to be this version she saw. She didn't even know George, and as much as it pained him to admit, it was refreshing to be known solely as Fred. But he was leaving- for "wizard school". She wouldn't be able to meet his family, to know who he truly is, and wouldn't be able to see her for months. Fred took a deep breath and decided to just say it "I'm leaving soon." Her face fell a bit as confusion filled her features. She asked why and for the first time ever, Fred was a loss of words. He told her he was leaving for boarding school where he wouldn't be able to see her. His heart was breaking with every word and the tears welling up in her eyes made him feel smaller than he ever had before. You both held each other for a while and later said your goodbyes. You asked him to visit the store when he returned home, which he promised he would. He walked you back to the store and before you could get into your car, he pulled you into a kiss. One that was filled full with passion, longing, hope, and sadness. As you drove away, his mouth lingered on yours and you already longed to be with him again. 

The days in the castle were lonelier than ever. He was with his brothers, with his friends, with him teammates but it all felt unnatural now. George had noticed a difference in his brother, a sadness and longing that couldn't be covered up by a prank or smile. He knew, of course, the cause of Fred's difference in demeanor and it tore him up that he did not have the solution for his brother's pain. Fred found her in every little thing in Hogwarts and he so badly just wanted to hear your voice. He thought of writing, you hadn't given him your address but he could always send a message to the store. This was a fleeting thought, however, as he knew it would bring more questions then answers and put his secret of magic at risk of being exposed. So he was left to his mind and imagination, desperately hoping you were thinking of him. When the loneliness and emptiness became too much, Fred would find himself in the Astronomy Tower gazing upon the moon and stars. He hoped that maybe you, all across the way, would be looking upon the same sky and thinking of him. 

He would have no idea that hundreds of miles away, you were doing the same. The stars sparkled the same as they did the first time you sat under the sky together. Suddenly a shooting star made its way across. It was a simple thing and yet both you and Fred saw it as a connection to each other. You both saw the star and wished for the same thing: each other.