Chapter 39: Balam Pichkari

Meera entered the Goenka Mansion, she had been at her house, the previous day only to return today after wishing Dadu holi. Her parents, her aunt, her cousins and Sid were going to come to Goenka house itself for Holi but Dadu wasn't feeling quite well so it was advisable to not cause him any stress. Besides she hadn't gotten to spend a lotta time with him after she came back from London. Both Arjun and her had become quite busy with work and Meera also had an added responsibility of Nitya and Rohan's wedding, not to mention Divya's pregnancy.

"Look at you my darling, no anger at the tip of your tongue and humming songs of the great yash raj, tell me what is new?" Dadu had asked her winking

"Dadu! nothing is new!" Meera had shrugged even though there was an air of newness that had indeed taken over her. She peeked into the mirror a few extra times, was usually humming extremely old songs and had absolutely lost any of her worries or concerns, she was at ease and happy. She had managed to partially amend her relationship with Mihir too,

"Meera he is hurt, you'll have to initiate the first step of amendment! and then ofcourse both the apologies can take place" Arjun had advised her like a learned worldly saint. She saw very less of him, she had begun working on another project and he was busy with a lotta work considering that the financial year was coming to an end, often keeping him up late in the nights. Meera did try to help but she was bad with numbers and she knew that they'd always end up fighting whenever they interfered in each others' works!

"Nothing is new? it should be love! love should be new, you should be preparing to give me my grand kids!" Dadu had playfully interjected as Meera carefully smeared Gulaal on his cheeks and his nose. Dadu who was going to apply a handful on her cheeks was stopped by Meera's mother.

"Papa! no! it's Meera's first Holi after her wedding!"

Meera looked on perplexed, "Huh?"

Dadu took the handful of color in his hands and applied them on Meera's arms. "That means that your husband will apply the color on you first!"

"Dadu! what rubbish is this and I am sure Arjun is not going to play Holi only!" Meera had replied. Arjun make have eased up a little around her but Meera still saw him as an uptight neat freak, there was no way in hell that he would indulge in Holi!

"You kids don't understand the worth of little traditions like this, for us this was only romance!" Dadu added

The Goenka mansion was extremely lively that day, Holi had always been a huge deal for a house with a lot of kids who had an amazing bonding. Before Arjun left there were Holi parties organized every year, they were also organized a few years after he left but some how they had lost the appeal after Arjun's refusal to comply with family demands, Shantanu falling sick and Ishika and Aman too had become busy with their studies. After Arjun had returned, it had taken everyone adapt back to the culture, and for the longest time, the family was scared to do anything that could trigger Arjun. But this year was different, Pratibha had already made it clear that she was going to hold a party, the family was finally happy, things were falling in place and everyone was at home this year!

Arjun stared out from the balcony, seeing Pratibha and Sudha overlook the preparations, both of them looked extremely excited. Meera had offered her help in pitching in the tent supplied and caterer but she was so excited to see Dadu that no one had the heart to stop her just to overlook the preparations, besides his mother and aunt were more than happy doing it.

He saw Aman walking there with a huge bucket of eggs, a few other servants walked after him with buckets of water balloons and a disgusting looking vegetable paste.

"Bhaiya!!!" he felt someone's cold hands go on his cheeks. The sun was barely up and they had begun but who had the courage to apply color to him first knowing that he wouldn't leave them. He turned around to give the person a smirk.