Chapter 40

Meera woke up when an intense bright light focused on her shut eyes with birds chirping in the background. She was covered with a sheet. She took it off and entered her room. Arjun was on call with someone, he noticed her yet continued the call. Meera poured herself a glass of water without noticing him. 

"When I say let me sleep, I don't mean go to the balcony" Arjun said after hanging up

"I kno-know, I j-just couldn't sleep" Meera said without looking at him 

"Meera, why do I feel like you're avoiding me?" Arjun asked seriously

"I am no-not ignoring you Arjun, you're busy" Meera said turning around to make eye contact for a few seconds before turning away 

"I Know I've been busy, I barely get to see-" He was interrupted by another call that he excused himself to take. Meera took the opportunity to sneak into the bathroom, before she had to face any more of his questions, he'd probably be gone by the time she came out. 

She came out of the bathroom, wearing her work clothes, humming the star man. She looked up and saw Arjun standing there with the support of a table. She was startled and let out a gasp, she wasn't expecting to see anyone in the room! thankfully she had put on all her clothes in the bathroom itself. Arjun who was on his phone gave her a quizzical look at her surprise. 

"I thought you were gone" Meera explained the gasp 

"Yeah but I had to talk to you about something" Arjun said putting his phone back in his pocket

"talk to me about something? what do you mean? what something!?" Meera said curiously in haste, Arjun smiled at her rush, he loved those moments were she'd get all awkward, her personality was almost an extreme, either she was extremely confident about a situation or extremely awkward about a situation, there was no in between. 

"Yeah i was thinking we should have a baby" Arjun said boldly 

"WHAT!?" Meera screamed loudly in disbelief. Arjun burst out laughing at her face. 

"Arjun, not a good joke" Meera said, she wasn't amused 

"Oh really, what happened to your eeeeeee" Arjun said preaching Meera's mantra to Meera itself, but Meera gave him a plastered smile and continued wearing her watch. She almost had a heart attack hearing him! Children! she wasn't even ready for a bloody relationship! 

"Anyways, my friends are having a party tomorrow, and I'd like you to come with me" Arjun explained

Meera instantly screamed, "No!" 

Arjun gave her another quizzical look, she was acting super weird, maybe what happened on Holi got to her! ugh I shouldn't have let things escalate so much! I was hoping it would give me clarity on her feelings but all I am getting right now is a blurred hazy image!  Maybe I should let her be, let her take her time

"Why? Is there some place else you have to be? are you having some tryst with your taxes or something?" Arjun mocked her clear repulsion to accountancy and numbers, "I am doing your taxes Meera, and I can promise, they're not easy, the least you can do is come to a party I want you to come to" He explained 

Meera thought for a moment. "Alright I will" She said turning away from him once again. Arjun walked out of the room contented, maybe this would swindle the awkwardness between them.

Meera checked her phone and remembered that her dad had called her to swing by his office today morning, there was some thing to do with some joint bank account. She picked up her stuff and left for her dad's office. 

-

"Hi Ravi uncle, is Dad inside?" Meera said stopping by her Dad's assistant

"Ohho, Meera beta, aap toh apne papa ke office ko bhool hi gayi! Marriage has kept you busy eh? We just read an article about your husband, on some house that he designed, in the magazine, we felt so proud" The old man of about 50, with hair sprouting out of his ears, explained. Meer smiled to him and took his expression to be that her dad was in his cabin and free.