-10- Lost and Found

Iroh and I sat in a cave. Zuko came out of nowhere and sat barrels of food at our feet. I could guess where he got them, but I don't care at this point. Zuko's always done whatever he wanted. Even if it meant hurting our feelings just a bit.

Iroh was clueless, "Where did you get these?"

"What does it matter where they came from?"

Iroh took a bite of a cupcake and smiled in satisfaction, "You should really try these! Absolutely delightful."

I grabbed one that looked like my favorite flavor and took a bite. I smiled, then stood.

I grabbed another cupcake and walked over to the fallen prince, "You should have one too. You were the one who went to all the trouble of taking them. Or at least, getting them from the blue spirit."

He smirked, "You want to come with next time?"

"No," I handed him the cupcake, "I only went that once because he threatened Iroh. I won't do anything more unless it's to protect one of you."

"Fine."

I walked back to the cave.

Zuko came back in with a golden tea set.

"Looks like you did some serious shopping," Iroh picked up the teapot, "But where did you get the money?"

"Do you like your new teapot?"

I could tell Iroh knew the worst, "To be honest with you, the best tea tastes delicious whether it comes in a porcelain pot or a tin cup. I know we've had some difficult times lately. We've had to struggle just to get by. But it's nothing to be ashamed of. There is a simple honor in poverty."

"There's no honor for me without the Avatar."

It hurt. Hearing that hurt. I know it's what he's always thinking about. I know that at this point that's all he cares about. He wants his twisted honor and the benefits he believes comes with it. And I want my friend. Neither of us will get what we want like this.

"Zuko... Even if you did capture the Avatar, I'm not so sure it would solve our problems. Not now."

"Then there is no hope at all."

Zuko stood to leave, but Iroh held him back down, "No, Zuko! You must never give in to despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength."

Zuko looked his uncle in the eye. Then pulled away. Walking into the forest. Iroh looked at me, but I let nothing show.

Minutes of silence passed. I finally spoke, "Let me help you with the supplies, he'll be wanting to leave."

"What do you want?"

I laughed at the question. One I had never heard before. At least not in all seriousness.

I started packing, "If I could answer that I would. Passion? History? The thrill of the fight? Maybe just memories."

We kept packing up. Zuko came to the edge of the woods as we finished.

"Uncle... I thought a lot about what you said."

"You did? Good, good."

"It's helped me realize something. The three of us no longer have anything to gain by traveling together. I need to find my own way."

The realization of his words struck me like an arrow. And I knew how that felt from first hand experience.

"Wait!"