Chapter 34

TAYLOR'S POV

"I'll get started on dinner," Christen says as we walk into her house. "Yeah I'll come help," Kelley says following her to the kitchen.

"Come on, we can sit outside." I say and open the sliding door to the backyard. Immediately Scooby comes over to greet us. "Hey buddy," Mal says petting his head. I throw his ball for him and he chased after it.

We sit down on the chairs and I turn to look over at Mal. "Mally what's bothering you? And don't tell me it's nothing because I can see something is wrong," I say and she looks at me, tears forming in her eyes. "Come here," I open my arms and she scoots closer to me. I hold her tightly rubbing my hand up and down her back. She pulls away and I wipe some of the tears away.

"A while ago my mom got diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and before the game my dad called. It's not looking good, they don't think she'll make it," She says and more tears roll down her cheeks. "Oh Mally," I say and bring her in for another hug. She cries harder and my heart breaks for her, because I know exactly how it feels to have a parent with cancer.

She pulls away and I take her hands in mine. "Mally, I don't know your mom at all, but I know she is a fighter and I know it's not fun to see someone you love go through this. And if you want to cry or talk or scream at somebody, I am always here okay?" I say and she looks up at me. "Where is she now?" I ask her. "They took her to a hospital somewhere in LA. My dad and sister is there with her," She says.

"I'm going to LA as soon as I get to Washington." She says and wipes away the tears rolling down her cheeks. "If you want me to come with you I'm more than happy to. And I'm sure the team and Craig will understand," I say. "You'll do that for me?" She ask and I give her a smile and nod. "But what about Kelley?" She asks. "She'll be alright with it."

"Thank you," She barely says over a whisper. I pull her in for another hug. I reposition ourselves so that we are lying down. She rests her head on my shoulder, silently crying. Scooby comes over and sits down beside us whining a bit. "It okay buddy, she's alright," I say and pet his head.

"That's so cute," I hear Mal say. Scooby jumps on the both of us and lays on top of us. He lifted Mals arm up with his nose, wiggling his head under her arm. He always does this when someone is upset. I hear her chuckle at him.

************

Later that night me and Kelley were in our room while Christen was in hers and Mallory in the other spare bedroom.

"Is Mal Pal alright?" Kelley asks me. "To be honest pooka, she's not. Her mom got diagnosed with stage four lung cancer a while ago and got a call before the game today from her dad saying that things doesn't look good and that she should go," I say and sit on the bed.

"Poor Mal," She says and sits next to me. "Yeah, I said that I would go with her. They moved her mom to a hospital somewhere in LA in hopes to get better treatment, but it's not working. I already scheduled a meeting with Craig tomorrow morning to tell him," I say and look over to her.

"I know you got me this job and I'm really thankful for that, but Kel I know what it feels like to have a parent go through something like this and I don't want her to feel alone and I know she has her dad and sister with her, but sometimes that's not who you need, I know." I say to my girlfriend.

"Hey, if I were you I would do exactly the same. I'm sure the team will find another trainer and that coach will understand. I really admire what you are doing for her." She says and pecks my forehead. "I love you," I say and she smiles. "I love you too,"

"I'm going to check up on her," I say and get off the bed. "I'll come with," She says and we make our way to Mal.

I knock on the door and hear her mumbling a come in. "Hey Mal Pal," Kelley says and walk over to her. "Taylor told me what happened and I want you to know that we are here if you need anything. And I know Taylor is going with you to LA," She says while holding Mal close to her. "She's a fighter," Kelley says and I can see her crying too.

"Why are you crying Olaf?" Mal asks Kelley and I smile at the nickname. "Because you are like a daughter to me Mally and to see you sad is making me sad." Kelley says and my heart melts to see the two of them like this. They have a special bond with each other. "And like I told you at the first day of you training with the National team, I am always here for you whenever you need me," She says and pulls away to look at Mal.

"Thank you guys," She says and I smile at her. "We'll let you get some sleep in," I say and hug her. "Goodnight Mally," I say and kiss her head. "Goodnight you guys," She says and we leave her room.

"Olaf?" I say to Kelley and she chuckles. "Yeah, it's her nickname for me. She says I remind her of Olaf." She says and I see her smile. "She has a special place in my heart and to see her sad and so fragile is making me sad," She says. "I can see that. You two really have a special bond with each other." I say and climb into bed.

"I love that kid as if she were my own," She says and climbing in next to me. I smile at her and peck her lips. "Let's get some sleep," I say and make myself comfortable under the sheets. "Goodnight pooka," She says and switch off the lamp. "Goodnight," I say snuggling closer to her.

It's going to be alright Mally. I really hope so...

************************

UNETITED BUT ENJOY