DESPAIR

So I decided to update two chapters this week..I deemed it necessary...Special thanks to @adna_xem ,@princessmercy,
@Oliviasweetkiss, @firstladyjulz, @OkereG, @chinenye and everyone who voted.

Sorry i couldn't find a picture for Dave yet,I will soon. Also Dave is Kween's crush😎

Dave's POV

A good day to me, is being alive. Like any other morning, I would wake up, look around and say to myself, 'I am still here', and then roll the blinds to make sure I'm still alive.

Life will definitely pass as a stand up comedian, seeing how funny it can be. I'm so young, healthy and fit, yet I'm dying of an incurable disease, that gives me barely two years to live.

"What's on your mind Dave Johnson? Your results are the same, you need another round of tests this weekend " Dr. Adesua said, dragging me out of my self pitying thoughts.

I looked around the now so familiar room. The anatomical illustrations on the wall, the not so sexy rubber skeleton standing at the left corner of the room, staring at me like I took it's skin. I guess that's what death looks like.

"What do you think will happen to me when I die?" I asked, not sparing her a glance, rather focusing my attention on the skeleton.

"I rather we don't talk about it, it's normal to be scared Dave but...."

"Normal?" I said, cutting her off. "Did you just say normal? It isn't normal to live with fear every day of your life." I fought the tears from dropping as I stared at her hoping she would say something, but I knew better.

Dr. Adesua is an otolaryngologist(ENT doctor) who diagnosed me of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma four months ago. Ever since, with the help of other medical team members, I have been receiving treatment. She's more of a friend now than a doctor but sometimes I really can't stand her.

"Do you believe in God, Dave?" She said, standing up from her leather matching seat.

"I do know the only person capable of getting me out of this situation, is God, seeing that you all have sentenced me already." She gave me a sad look upon hearing my last sentence. "But I guess He's too busy answering other people to pay me little attention."

"God doesn't just heal you, your Faith does and right now, you lack alot of it. Stop being pessimistic Dave." She took a step closer and grabbed me by the shoulders staring down at me from my sitting position.

"I don't know how long you have left Dave, but you are only qualified to die when you have first lived. What you are doing now isn't living. I have been a doctor for at least fifteen years and I've seen healthy individuals, die either from RTA(road traffic accidents) or even Malaria." She took a deep breath and let go of my shoulders.

"I can't understand how you feel Dave, but detaching yourself from everybody and everything won't help. Go to school, meet classmates and make friends. You can...."

"I rather spend time sleeping," I cut in. "Atleast it gives me peace of mind."

"Sleeping? Oh so, you can spend time with your beautiful fantasy you call a friend?" She said chuckling

"She's not a fantasy "I said, in defence.

"Well then, can I meet her sometime?" I knew where she was getting at but I felt like wiping off the smirk appearing on her face.

Although I can't explain her existence, she's entirely not a fantasy. I see her only when I fall asleep but she's as real as it can get. We talk for hours, maybe through the whole length of my sleeping hours at night, yet, when i wake up, I don't feel tired or sleepy. I know it's a dream but I'm aware of my consciousness. Dr. Adesua once called it a Lucid dream.

"I believe she's real, if she wasn't,  I won't be dreaming of her." I hope she gives in and let it go. "I will bring her when i meet her."

"Good but right now, you need to go to school. You are running late for lectures. Your mom..."

"I don't have lectures today or tomorrow." I said, as a matter of fact, cutting her off again.

"Well then, go mingle with anyone other than yourself and leave me so I can work. Maybe you can find your fantasy or some girl that will catch your fancy." she said the last part with a familiar smirk I wanted to wipe off earlier.

"There's no one out there for me and I don't intend mingling with anyone. I rather stay here and help you out." I offered, even when it was clear I would get rejected.

"No will do Dave Johnson, now go before I call your mom." She threatens. I waved both my hands, signalling defeat and grabbed my bag.

*******

I don't like seeing people, they are a constant reminder of what I won't get to feel or who I won't be in a matter of months or weeks. And this school is full of them. I stopped attending lectures two months ago and I detached myself from my friends almost immediately. I couldn't stand anyone looking at me with pitiful eyes.

Aside from my well furnished apartment, the library is my sanctuary. It's quiet and I get to sleep. The only reason I come to school is because of my Mom. She believes mingling with people will give me the will to live. If Will-to-live is the cure to cancer, then my father would be alive today.

"Good morning Dave, I reserved your seat as usual." She said, flashing me her pearly whites. Glory is the library attendant and we have gotten quite acquainted since I'm a regular.

"Thank you , see you later." I try as much to be formal.

The library is scanty today, only a few seats were occupied, majorly by medical students. I wonder why their calender is different from everybody else. I settled down and noticed my favourite book was already on the table. I looked up and caught eyes with Glory. She beamed at me and I nodded in return. I guess she knows my routine..

I was completely engrossed in the book I was reading to even notice someone was right in front of me. The knocking sound on my desk brought me back to earth. I looked up, to see who was disturbing and then, I froze on seeing her..

Ok this chapter was pretty long..(a thousand plus words😲).. I hope you enjoy it and also warm up to Dave...please comment and also vote..thank you.