BREAKTHROUGH

Kween's POV

I stepped into the library with cautious optimism, not wanting to expect too much on one hand and also not wanting my emotional hype to stir that perversed contrarian streak inside, where I want everything to have a happy ending.

His back view from where I stood comforts me but also sends a trail of goosebumps down my body. I could tell I was
really nervous but what's the worse that could happen? I was glad we were in the library, so he won't raise his voice. Talk about a good day.

"Can I see your I.D please?" A feminine voice said,  stopping me in my tracks. I glanced quickly at her name tag and 'Glory' was written boldly on it. I stepped closer to her with a wide smile on.

"Hi Glory," I said, still smiling. "I left my I.D while hurrying here. Can you give me a pass, just this once?" I gestured with a finger pointing out.

She scanned her desk and picked up a carton tag, with the number five boldly written on it. She handed me the tag and smiled at me.

"Use this, but your access will be greatly limited. You can only access the books from the west wing. The other sections are accessible with an I.D."

If only she knew better. I'm not a library person, I came here for one reason alone and he was sitting over there.

"I can live with that. Thank you Glory." I said, flashing her a smile before walking away. I went straight to the west wing and grabbed the first book I laid eyes on. Since I was in the library, I should as well play the part.

"Hello." I knocked on his desk trying to get his attention. He must really love that book, as to not notice my presence, I wish I were the book. He raised his head to face me and on making eye contact, his eyes widened like he has seen a ghost or something. Why was he staring at me like that?

"Can I sit with you?" I asked, breaking eye contact and settling on the seat directly opposite to him without his approval. His gaze was still fixed at me and it was beginning to make me uncomfortable. His gaze held so much dominance that I couldn't last a minute stand off.

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you staring at me like that? Do I have something on my face?" Although, I said the last part, I was silently wishing nothing of sort, was on my face.

"You look like someone I know." He said, almost immediately. "I know it's weird but do you mind pinching me a bit on my cheeks? "

Did he just asked me to pinch him? Is he alright? I met his eyes determined not to look away again.

"Why?"

"To confirm if I'm dreaming or not." The dominant look on his face now turned to a curious one.

Why would he think he was dreaming?  God, please don't tell me he is a nut case? I have been crushing on him for over two years now. It would be a sad waste of time, energy and crush.
I looked at him once again and instead of pinching him like he requested, I caressed his hard chiseled jaw and then pulled out a string of hair from his beards. That must have really hurt.

"Ouch! That's painful." He spat,  glaring at me. Dave is really cute but he's way cuter when he's angry.

"At least you know what reality feels like." I said, chuckling. His facial expression soften alittle and if I wasn't emotionally hyped, I would have sworn I saw a smile appear on his face.

Tell him now Kween, this is your chance. It's now or never. But I just couldn't bring myself to tell him. It's my pride at stake. I will take a different approach, I am crazy and so is this situation.

"Dave, I need to tell you something. "

"Lower your voice, we're in the library." He whispered.
"And how do you know my name?"

"Do you have a girlfriend? Or maybe a fiancee? Or are you betrothed to anyone physically or spiritually? I asked,  not knowing what to expect. His demeanor scares me as much as his next response.

"No I don't have any of those, and why are you asking me all these? " His response, contrary to my expectations gave me relief.

"Because I like you Dave, for a very long time." I couldn't meet his eyes. Telling him about my feelings was definitely the right thing to do. Although it hurts my pride and makes me scared, I think I can breath freely now.

"Look, what's your name again?" he asked

"Kween David," I said, in a low tone

"I can't stop you from liking me, but I can't reciproc..."

"You can't or you won't?" I snapped, cutting him off. My pride was hurt and I won't have it. He doesn't have a girlfriend or a fiancee, so why can't he? I know, I promised to put my perversed contrarian streak in check but this is painful.

"I won't," he said firmly. "I don't have the time to date anyone or get entangled. I have enough on my plate already. I'm sure you are a nice girl, gorgeous to say the least but I don't like you."

"Not yet," I said looking at him. He gave me a surprised look.
"You don't even know me Dave, so don't say you don't like me." I know I should just let it go but there was something about his eyes. They were beautiful and bright, yet they held so much sadness.

"Just one date," I said, lifting a finger up. "After that I will let you be."

He gave me a long stare and then paused for a little while. I was literally going to run off like a mad person if he declined again. My pride had recieved more punches in an hour than it has in my whole existence.

"Alright, Just one date." He said, scribbling something on a note. "Take this, it's my number, call me on Friday at 6pm and I will come pick you up."

I stared at his number and a grin flashed across my face. Dave Johnson, you just made a mistake. I looked at him and nodded in approval. He grabbed his books and shoved them into his bag and mouthed a goodbye to me before leaving.

"That was intensed, way to go Kween." I said, pulling out my phone from my back pocket. I need to tell Fred what just happened. Maybe I should sensor the details a little because I too was ashamed of myself. I practically threw myself at him. At least I got a date out of it.

Hey Freddy,
What's up? Where you at? I need to tell you
Something. It's important. Text me back asap..
Xoxo

I grabbed the book on my desk and returned it to it's place. I didn't even take a look at it. I felt bad a little but it served it's purpose in a way. I got a text notification and I pulled up my phone.

Hey Kweeny,
I didn't see you in class so I went to our usual
Come meet me there. You have 10mins else you
are buying lunch..

Crap, he's definitely making me buy lunch. How petty of him.
I grabbed my bag and walked out..

I hope you enjoy this chapter..don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you and I love you all.

                                                                           ESHIN